1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Camera

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BGreenlee, Jun 21, 2008.

1. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I finally broke down and bought a DSLR. I went with the Nikon D60 since I already had all the lenses to go with it for my Nikon N65 and N75. I have macros from 90mm to 300mm. I am finally starting to figure out the white balance and here is my first shot that was color correct.
    [​IMG]

2. -=kevin=-

-=kevin=- Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is amazing. Congrat's on your new toy. Thanks for sharing.

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice keep the pics coming.

4. Duke13

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very nice camera. Enjoy it.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am liking it. I do wish I would have went ahead with hte D80 since it has the larger sensor as well as a couple other upgrades to this one, but I am very happy with it so far.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome picture Billy!

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Robyn. I am getting better at it. I also figured out that the white wall near my tank makes an excellent tool for setting my white balance. The metal halides hit it at a glancing angle which makes it a perfect target to set the camera up with. I am now looking for a better macro lens. I am leaning toward the 105mm Nikkor. Courtney, however, is pushing me away from it.

8. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just tell Courtney that "all the cool kids have them!"

Looks great Billy....how about a FTS.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I say Billy is not allowed to enter any more photo contests. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Bullet on 06/23/2008 5:56 PM
    Just tell Courtney that "all the cool kids have them!"
    Looks great Billy....how about a FTS.
    Sadly the full tank shot would look like crap. I have everything in the garage still as I plug away at the basement fishroom. I have a frag rack in the front of the tank that essentially  blocks the view. I do have  a couple areas that I can take more pictures in though. And of course the overgrown 29 gallon. about a 1/3 of the back wall is covered in a purple montipora digi and a 1/3 is in GSP. The monti caps have grown to the front wall and are spreading up it.
    I think I need to frag that stuff out.
    So when you getting a tank going again Bob?

11. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my reef weeds growing. I really need to buy the better lens so I can improve my depth of field. All in due time i expect.

12. Duke13

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Posted By BGreenlee on 06/23/2008 4:48 PM
    I also figured out that the white wall near my tank makes an excellent tool for setting my white balance. The metal halides hit it at a glancing angle which makes it a perfect target to set the camera up with. 

I usually use a sheet of white paper /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    Here are my dream lenses:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-70mm-2-8L-Standard-Cameras/dp/B00009R6WT/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1206321292&sr=1-4
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-2-8L-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00006I53X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1206321527&sr=1-1

13. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Billy

Just take a white coffee filter and cover the end of your lens, then just aim the camera at a bright spot in the tank.
    That is how I make all of my custom white balance adjustments....it works awesome and is super easy and cheap.

Bill

14. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 06/24/2008 8:41 PM
    Billy
    Just take a white coffee filter and cover the end of your lens, then just aim the camera at a bright spot in the tank.
    That is how I make all of my custom white balance adjustments....it works awesome and is super easy and cheap.
    Bill
    Unless of course you don't drink coffee.
    I will have to grab a couple from the office tomorrow and give it a try.
    What software do you use for your after shot adjustments Bill? I am using the trial fo Capture NX 2, I really like it but the $180 price tag is pushing the bounds of what I want to pay for it. Especially since the lens I want is $800. One more overpriced hobby huh.

15. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tank got me in this photo hobby.

You should come over sometime and Ill show you how I do my post work.

eins

16. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By einsteins on 06/25/2008 10:09 PM
    My tank got me in this photo hobby.
    You should come over sometime and Ill show you how I do my post work.
    eins
    Bill
    That sounds good. I need to drag a couple frags into you anyway. I am in Nevada the rest of the week. Are you around town next week?
    Billy

17. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like I am going to around next week

Just give me a little notice...

Bill