1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New BioCube Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude that is totally sweet!!!! Please tell me you're rocking LED's on this setup?

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan to get one of the AI lights, but it just isn't in the budget just yet. Currently I am using a 150w Sunpod with a XM 20k bulb, I also replaced all the white LED on the sunpod with blue. Problem is that it still isn't enough blue for the morning or evening when the MH isn't on.
    I wish I didn't haft to work the day of the tank tour. I so wanted to be on it, last time I was on the tour, I got a lot of great ideas. But maybe next year.

3. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its been a little while since I put anything in here. So figured I would wait till after MACNA and post some of my new stuff with some updated pic of the tank.
    The main reason that I wanted to go to MACNA
    AI Sol, got for the lower price, glad I waited a few extra months before purchasing this light
    Its not completely installed yet, FYI the zip ties that are holding it up.
    [​IMG]
    New Media Chamber by Intank.
    Havent got this in use yet, still trying to work out the lighting stuff first.
    [​IMG]
    Customer Collection Cup for the Tunze9002 by Intank.
    I'm not sure exactly why, but I think this cup makes the skimmer work so much better.
    [​IMG]
    I got a great deal on this CPR SR3, cause it was the display modle from CPR at MACNA.
    Not sure why I needed it, but thought I would try it out and see how it compares to the Tunze
    [​IMG]

4. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And now for some of the interesting shots.
    [​IMG]   [​IMG]
    [​IMG]   [​IMG]
    [​IMG]   [​IMG]
    I am loving the better attinic lighting with the AI compared to the 12-1w LEDs that the sunpod had.  

5. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    finally one of the fish that is on my list for this bio cube.
    Flame Pawn Golby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is the smallest fish that I have ever seen, and had to put it in a 1g tank intil it gets some size to it, before putting it in the main dispay.

6. Bymers311

Bymers311 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good, nice pick-ups! If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to go with the sol instead of a sol nano?

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Because I am going to upgrade to a bigger tank someday, and want to be able to use that light along with another one. I didn't want to haft to buy two new ones.
    It is way over kill for my tank but my current highest setting on 50% for mid-day.

8. Bymers311

Bymers311 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah-hah, that makes sense. I hope I didn't sound critical, I just wanted to know as I am planning out my own 29g BC and am hoping to be adding an AI fixture before long.

9. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It didn't sound critical. I have got that question a lot since I bought that light. And if it wasn't for the future upgrade objective I would of got the AI SOL Nano.

10. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What a difference a few years and some good equipment makes.
    [​IMG]  [​IMG]
    With running the BioPellets it  seems like everything has increased in color, poly extention, and size.  Well everything except zoas, which has steadily shrank and died. Unfortunately zoas where my favorite type of coral.   I have lost candly apple, tubs blue, fire and ice, and fruitloops.  I funny thing is that my polys purple death, nuc greens, and the large green ones in the back are all doing great.  

11. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Great Job Troy... I haven't seen your tank for awhile...it's looking great.

12. Bennyboy515

Bennyboy515

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Love your wall! Just did two myself 1 for a 14 gallon, and 1 for a 28 gallon. I dont think that spray bar is enough flow. It's a good idea though. Plus it creates backpressure which makes the pump work harder and use more electricity. The more surface agitation the better. I have a small rio pump on our bio-cube and it y's off through my wall and makes all kinds of flow. Until the water flow demonstration by Jake Adams at Macna I always pointed my returns down not realizing I could get better flow by pointing returns and powerheads towards the top, created a better gas exchange too. I had the same problem with the bloody foam, I spent a couple of hours scraping it away with a steak knife. Scott at seascapes told me to use silicone instead of apoxy but the sand wouldn't stick to the silicone. I gave the 14 gallon to a friend and he stocked it right away with clownfish and a grape coral from my tank. The grape coral was clearly affected by the apoxy so we put a bag of chemipure elite in the middle chamber and within one hour it opened back up.

13. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Few pics of new spring swap goodies
    Green Birds Nest                                                                                            Rainbow monti
    [​IMG]    [​IMG]
    Unknown- So if anyone could help                                                                                   ORA-Red Planet-Not acclimating well to my tank, hope with time it will make it
    [​IMG]    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now if I could only get as good growth as I do color. I would be tickled pink

14. bearsareawsome Well-Known ReefKeeper

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I see you have a glass cleaner in your tank. does it curve around the corners? what is it and where did you get it if it works will and curves

15. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if its an issue with a 29 gal, but I tested an LED fixture on my 14 with no lid, and i lost so much to evaporation, i couldn't leave me tank unattended for more than 2 days cause the return would start sucking air. Made it tricky to go see my parents on weekends an such. Went back to the lid which will run for over a week before water levels get critical. Which also may tie into keeping your heaters in the return section of the back, the water level in there can drop pretty drastically from the tank level, making it hard to keep the heater submerged

16. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    haha oops just noticed the extra 3 pages of reading and date tags i didnt see, i suppose you have all the bugs worked out by now