1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New BioCube Setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good Troy!!!

--AJ

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well after about 2 hours the tank is getting really cloudy. Probably due to the dry rock and wall. I am not a big fan of lids, just because of the light restriction. I do have a JBJ ATO that I will be adding when the stand is done, along with a BRS dual chamber media reactor for carbon and GFO.   Along with the AC3 that will control the lighting, heat, fans, powerheads. 
    Thanks for the nice comments
    Will keep updating as things happen
    Troy

3. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its been running for about 2 days now.  I thought I would test just to see where I'm at, to have something to compare it to in a month or so, when the cycle is ending.   What I found was kinda shocking.   
    Ammonia -2.0    Nitrates-160+    Nitrites-5     pH-7.8    Phosphate-2.0
    [​IMG]
    I am doing a 100% water change today, and will test again in a few days.  

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Love the rock wall. Nice work!

5. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks cool, grats on getting it up.

6. SaltWaterloo

SaltWaterloo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    whoa Troy that rock wall is awesome!

7. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    quick question, is it an open top? do you have access through your stand?
    Since I just set-up a biocube 29g, my biggest pet peve is with the light/top and am looking to get another light to run an open top so I have access to everything easier.
    Second thing is I went with a fine sand for the bottom which looks nice, but moves way too easy when cleaning, etc. If I was going to do it over again I would mix in half fine stuff with half crushed coral (rice size).
    -Justin

8. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/satisfied.gif

Strong- It is an open top, I run a Sunpod 150w HQI. Rght now it sits on top with of the tank with legs. But when the stand is finished it will be put up with a hanging kit, on a track so I can move it out of the way.

9. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    let me know if you need help making the stand, I do a lot of wood working.

Looking to maybe get some T5's for mine soon.

-Justin

10. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only problem with T5's is that the shortest you can get are still longer the 29g biocube. I was thinking of going that rought at first.

11. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All the stuff I need, well almost
    [​IMG]
    Getting the sides together
    [​IMG]
    Almost ready to stand on its own.
    [​IMG]
    Not time to sand and paint/stain
    [​IMG]
    Will have some more pic this weekend

12. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very cool man. using glue with screws (using pipe clamps)?

13. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Very nice setup Troy - the stone wall is awesome - very good use of space. And...I didn't know you could use expanding foam like that. No chem-leaching in the water? And, nice job on the stand...not a trivial job ! What do you plan to do for getting into the hood? ..is it hinged? ..door on front?

14. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Between the dry rock and the rock wall.   There is alot of leaching, right now my param's are way out of wack.   But is only been a little over a week with water.   I figured that I would have a bad cycle.   I plan on doing another 100% water change this weekend.  
    For the stand.  It will have double doors in the front, on top and bottom.  I would like to get the top to swing up and out of the way, but I am not that great of a carpenter so I will settle for the doors.   Shouldn't be to much of a problem since there isn't a hood on the biocube.

15. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got some more work done on the stand today.   It is starting to look like something now. 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Updated shot of the tank.  Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites are still really high.   I will be doing a 100% water change again in the next few days.   Plus I have ordered a new ballast for the Sunpod cause is went to **** on me.  
    [​IMG]

16. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update
    Got the front panel on and the outside stained.   Still need to cut out for the doors on top and bottom.  But its starting to come around.  
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Troy on 04/14/2010 08:35 PM
    The only problem with T5's is that the shortest you can get are still longer the 29g biocube. I was thinking of going that rought at first. Wrong my freind check Nanotuners out, they are pre ordering 12in and 18in t5, should be released very soon by UVL, they are already working on retro hood fixtures. [​IMG]

18. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Finally finished with the stand.   Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Im not going to be able to move the tank into the stand intil this weekend when I do the next water change.   But its getting closer to getting completed.   Here a few pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the tank from a few days ago,   Starting to get throw the cycle.   Cant wait in til its completely ready for coral.
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you think, give any ideas, cause I still have time to change things before the tank goes in the stand. 

19. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    looks awesome personally

20. Strong

Strong

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    now that i've met you troy......it looks like CRAP!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

Hope the cycle goes quick and you can get stuff in there soon.

-Justin