1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New Aptasia Treatment?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Apr 10, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That video makes me giggle.

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't view the video but I may have to try that out sometime.  I can't seem to totally irradicate those little buggers.

4. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of which, how are the Nudibranche's doing for the people that got in on that group order a couple of months back? Anybody to the point where they could sell me a few locally in CR?

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The nudibranchs were a total bust for me...

-JB

6. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Suprisingly mine did well. I releaesed them into my smaller tank and wished them well. I did not notice much difference until the last few weeks. My tank went from having a lot of them to having none. I am now taking rocks out of the bigger tank and putting them in the smaller tank to feed them. I am seeing them a little bit at night with a flashlight, but do not have any idea how many I have in the tank now.

7. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just received mine on Fri. and I have to say WOW!! The stuff works great. I kid you not, I had 3 aptasia in my tank and one treatment GONE. Not only that, but the biggest one was as big around as my thumb!!! I kid you not. And the Aptasia X killed in in 24 hrs. It is definately a GREAT product. My only remark would be, make sure you turn off ALL  power heads and anything that may move the water. But this is definately a sure fire remedy for aptasia.

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I guess I dont see why you dont just go out and buy a couple of peppermint shrimp they worked great for me. Plus they do the work for you no searching for the anemones yourself. I dont know about you guys but when it was a big enough problem to try and solve there were way to many to try and traget kill them all. Just thought Id throw my opinion on the subject.

9. rverbeck

rverbeck Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good opinion. I like peppermint shrimps too. I just dont want anything else in my tank but more corals.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Phathead on 05/11/2008 6:33 PM
    I guess I dont see why you dont just go out and buy a couple of peppermint shrimp they worked great for me. Plus they do the work for you no searching for the anemones yourself. I dont know about you guys but when it was a big enough problem to try and solve there were way to many to try and traget kill them all. Just thought Id throw my opinion on the subject.
    I don't use peppermints because they are entirely hit & miss when it comes to aiptasia.   I've added many peppermint shrimp to my tank and I still see them from time to time, but the aiptasia continue to multiply.   The problem is that aiptasia are not the only possible food source for peppermints and if they find something they like better, they won't touch the aiptasia.
    The only sure natural cure for aiptasia is berghia's, but they are also food for certain things so they don't work well in some tanks (like mine).
    I ordered some Aiptasia-X today after reading all of the positive reviews.   We'll see how it works.
    Oh, and Kalk paste works great if you only have a few of them, but I have so many now that I can't treat a significant portion of my tank without sending my alk through the roof.
    -JB

11. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 05/11/2008 7:46 PM
    Oh, and Kalk paste works great if you only have a few of them, but I have so many now that I can't treat a significant portion of my tank without sending my alk through the roof.
    -JB
    I am not entirely sure that trying to paste them will do them in completely. I kalked the 2 that my tank has always had and now there are little ones all over, so I wonder if it didnt just kill part of them and cause damage clones.
    In any case, I may want to try this in the near future as well.
    Tagging along for the ride.

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered some of this product.  I don't have a lot of those pests, but I have little ones that come back after kalking and I'd just like to get rid of them forever.  I have never had luck with peppermint shrimps either.

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Nykademus on 05/12/2008 8:06 AM
    I am not entirely sure that trying to paste them will do them in completely. I kalked the 2 that my tank has always had and now there are little ones all over, so I wonder if it didnt just kill part of them and cause damage clones.
    In any case, I may want to try this in the near future as well.
    Tagging along for the ride.
    This is the same experience I have had.   If you don't make sure to completely cover them with kalk paste (which is next to impossible) they end up spreading like wildfire.   But in the rare case where you are able to totally encase them in kalk, it does seem to work ok...
    -JB

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sure does look like kalk paste, i might try it and see what happens, i have like 3 big ones in my display and they won't die with any other method.

15. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just did the first treatment with this stuff. My tank was/is heavily infested and it took a bottle and a half to kill all of the visible ones. It does look like kalk with a slight purple tint to it. And it does raise alk a bit, but nothing outrageous.

I'll be curious to see how many actually come back in the next couple days.

-JB