1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

New 2 forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ruggerkc, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

Hello,

I am Casey, I live in Cedar Falls.

My wife and I have a 75 gallon flat back hex, Its been runnig for about 10 years. It has always been more of a fowlr than a reef. We have a flame hawk. a blue and yellow tang. As for corals I have a buble, some mushrooms, green star and a couple of brown pollups. I have twin 96 watt PCs, an octapus nw skimmer seting in a 55 gallon sump. I have pretty much neglected it for years and now I want to get it into decent shape, so I have my work cut out for myself. If any one wants to come by and fix it for me that would be OK[​IMG][​IMG]
    I lurked and occationaly posted on RC and have been lurking here untill I finnally figured out how to use the Pay Pal function.
    I have been fortunate enough to meet a few members and hope to meet lots more.
    thanks for reading[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting and welcome to GIRS!

When you say get it back in shape do you mean just cleaning it up to a nice FOWLR? or actually taking the plunge into some harder to keep corals?

either way I know there are plenty of people here who will be more than willing to help you out!

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

I am not sure if plung is the right discription, how about wade into a some more interesitng sea life.

4. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello welcome to GIRS

if you get a chance, lets see your tank.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey Casey, hit me up sometime i could stop by and give you some pointers.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Casey and welcome to GIRS! It sounds like you have a lot of experience in the hobby! What is your goal for the tank? Do you just want to see it looking nice again or start keeping different livestock? Regardless, I wish you luck on it. You also have a lot of members up there that could help you out if needed. Hit 'em up for it if they're offering. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Casey,

Nice to see ya again. I know you probably arent happy with me after the Bears beat your Broncos the night I picked up
    those tanks. What kind of plans do you have for the tank? Did you ever get that algae under control?

Nice to see you here
    Craig

8. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welcome to GIRS Casey. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out. You have a lot of good people there local to you that can help you out.

Billy

9. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

Thanks all for the warm welcome...
    As for plans or goals, wow I guess I never thought about it that way. sounds like a job or something. Some times it feels like work.

I have had the last 2 days off work so I went on a crazy algae removal. I ended up taking about 70% of my live rock out. I put it in a 20 gallon with a powerhead and covered it up. After reading more of the post about cooking live rock I think I will need to get more of the dust/dirt off the rocks.
    As for long term, at times I want to get a different tank. The shape of the flat back hex doesn’t allow for a 4' light fixture and it would be difficult to get a canopy that would accommodate MH lights. Plus the bracing on the top of the acrylic tank blocks a lot of light.
    I need to get new test kits and start using them.
    I need to beat a hair algae problem then start adding a few corals.

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 01/05/2008 5:25 AM

Thanks all for the warm welcome...
    As for plans or goals, wow I guess I never thought about it that way. sounds like a job or something. Some times it feels like work.

I have had the last 2 days off work so I went on a crazy algae removal. I ended up taking about 70% of my live rock out. I put it in a 20 gallon with a powerhead and covered it up. After reading more of the post about cooking live rock I think I will need to get more of the dust/dirt off the rocks.
    As for long term, at times I want to get a different tank. The shape of the flat back hex doesn’t allow for a 4' light fixture and it would be difficult to get a canopy that would accommodate MH lights. Plus the bracing on the top of the acrylic tank blocks a lot of light.
    I need to get new test kits and start using them.
    I need to beat a hair algae problem then start adding a few corals.
    Glad to see you are wanting to deal with the problems before you start adding anything. There are usually some good deals on tanks right here on the forum, or on ReefCentral. Lots of people upgrading or getting out all the time, so its usually easy to find a new tank. Good luck with the cooking, and remember not to try to cut it short.
    Billy

11. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 01/05/2008 5:25 AM

The shape of the flat back hex doesn’t allow for a 4' light fixture and it would be difficult to get a canopy that would accommodate MH lights. Plus the bracing on the top of the acrylic tank blocks a lot of light.
    Something else to consider is hanging a fixture from the ceiling.  I don't know the dimensions of your tank but maybe a 36" fixture might work if you hang it higher?

12. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Casey

Its great to have you on board with our club!!

Tons of great advice will flow your way for just asking.
    Test kits are a great start to having improved husbandry practices in your tank and with improved husbandry practices your algae problems will most likely go away.

Also just so you know...we are having a Club meeting on the 19th of this month (details are in the news on the front page) part of that meeting will be a garage sale where members will be selling some of their equipment. That might be a good place for you to find an upgrade or two.

eins

13. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    I did test phosphate with an old test kit and it was negitive.
    I did see the meeting flyer but I will be out of the area..

14. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS Casey