1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Never fails....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As some of you know i setup a 29 gallon bio cube for my daughter.  Well i finally got a bunch of fish and just recently some real nice zoa and paly frags for it.  Over the last couple weeks i noticed my fish disappearing one by one, then today i saw my coral banded shrimp go after one!  This really sucks, as i said i just got the frags and just got them epoxied down a couple nights ago, I just had to take almost every single rock out to catch the damn shrimp and now there is just no way i can get the rocks back in exactly the way i had them in before so i guess its time to start breaking off plugs, and relocating things.  I'm just glad i realized the problem was the shrimp before it managed to take out all my new fish. It managed to kill a midas blenny and a fire fish before i realized the problem.   Live and learn i guess...
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gif

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    that sucks man, sorry to hear about that

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, i should have know a shrimp with big *** claws like that might snatch up some fish....

4. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have heard of them being aggressive (unlike what a lot of the websites say). I had one with a maroon clown so they clown was alright, but I did see the coral banded jump it a couple of times.
    It's to bad because they are one of my favorites. I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard it is actually closer related to a crab than a shrimp.

5. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a big bummer........I think they're opportunists, I mean who can resist a tasy little fish if you can catch him?!

6. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry to hear about your fish,i have had a midas for well over a year and i really like it. just thout i would share a story somewhat related. a few mounths ago i bought a young red coris wrasse and had him in a tank with two quarter sized hermit crabs. everything was good for three days until tragidy struck!! i had just seen the coris bury itself for the night. i then had a buddy stop buy and he said how is the coris doing,i said great. and i don't think it could have been more than a minute later,i saw one of the hermits stop about were the wrasse was resting for the night and to my total disbelief,it reached under the sand and grabbed the wrasse by the mouth and head and in the few seconds it took me to put my hand in the tank,it was to late.now on the other hand i have a purple reef lobster(some say not reef safe,some say it is)and i have had it well over a year and could'nt be more happy with it!