1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need to drill my 29 gal. glass sump.

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by adampottebaum, Sep 22, 2008.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I wanted to drill out my 29 gallon sump to put a fitting in the return compartment. Is there anyone in the area with a glass hole saw, or somewhere to pay to have this done? I want to put a 3/4" fitting and then somehow plumb the whole works with pvc piping. I'm going home this weekend to get all the plumbing for the project from the lumber store my dad works at(so it's free!). I would ideally want a 1 3/4" hole drilled but I could buy a new fitting if anyone has anything else. Also, is there any tips anyone has on how to do this, mabye from past experiences...? I wanted to use pretty much all pvc so it's solid, stays where I put it, and so the lines don't kink. Also, this will make it easier to use ball valves on each of the return lines. I haven't boughten my pump yet, but I've heard good things about the QuietOne pumps. I'm looking at getting the Quiet One 6000 pump(1506gph). Any ideas?
    -Adam

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Take a look at glass holes.  Their hole saws are much cheaper than those at big box stores...they are perfect for drilling 3-5 holes but, that's about it (the life of the teeth are a lot shorter than the more expensive saws).  they have free shipping to boot and bulkheads to match corresponding saw sizes, which can sometimes be difficult for 1st timers.
    http://www.glass-holes.com/category.sc?categoryId=7
    Here are some pics from the club's tank drilling tutorial.
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/C...fault.aspx
    Here is a useful vid.

3. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    may want to check these out as well.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I can drill it for you if you bring it over to my shop sometime. I have drilled quite a few & have only broken 1 or 2.

Gimme a call 232-2300

Craig

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    yea i was actually looking at ordering a hole saw off of glass-holes.com i just thought i'd ask first to see if i could get it done for free. craig, where is your shop located?

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Near the Crossroads Mall