1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need some simple acrylic work done in Cedar Rapids

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by JB, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for someone who has the expertise and  tools (namely table saw & proper blade) to work with acrylic.
    What I need is VERY simple:  4 strips of 3/16" acrylic.   2 cut 3/4" wide and 2 cut 1/2" wide.
    I'm building a new propagation tank out of 40 breeder and I'm building a "lip" for the egg crate to sit on.   I don't want to use PVC (it takes up too much space and it can be awkward) and the dimensions of the tank are such that a trimmed piece of egg crate has a 3/16" gap on both sides.  The 3/4" and 1/2"pieced sandwiched together will create a perfect fit for the eggcrate.
    If someone would be willing to help with this, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    -JB

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nobody?

I just received my order of black egg crate, so I want to kick this project off soon.

-JB

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a table saw that you're welcome to use anytime...but I don't have the acrylic blade. I've read that you should use the triple-chisel 80 tooth blades which run between $50 and $100 - depending on brand. That's probably something I will invest in at some point, but not now. Maybe you can see if Rick can cut them for you and ship them over. I bet you would have them within a week...

--AJ

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I may have found someone to cut a few pieces for me. I thought of Rick too, but that's a long drive or a lot of shipping for such a small need.

-JB

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interestingly enough, I guess not all egg-crate is the same. The black stuff I got is slightly larger than the white stuff I have, so I had to change up my design a bit...

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi JB, Just saw the post. I've been really swamped with working two jobs 14HR days suck!!
    Let me know what you need , shipping wont be mutch $ 5.00 I think.
    just pm me.

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would of done it, but I only snap cut acrylic, and it dont look the greatest. But also remembered you needed a hole drilled in your tank, when do you want to do that. I am avaible during the day or weekends.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Troy,

I've got the acrylic part done but I do still need a hole drilled for a 3/4" bulkhead (requires a 1.5" hole I think).

Any chance I could talk you into stopping by with your bit so I don't have to lug the 40 breeder across town?

I still need to order some parts, so no hurry.

-JB

9. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I may have an extra 3/4" bulkhead if that's what you're waiting on...let me know and I'll check.

--AJ

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks AJ, but already have a 3/4". It's the 1" bulkheads for the return I need.

-JB