1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need some input!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B-Rad, Oct 12, 2009.

1. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at the Vortech Marine MP20 and MP40 pumps.
    My tank is 48" 120g mixed sps and lps.
    I was wondering if two MP20's (one at each end) would be OK, or would I need the Mp40's.
    The MP20 is rated for tanks up to 70g with a flow from 500-2000 gph.
    The MP40 is rated for tanks up to 500g with a flow from 500-3000 gph.
    The mp20 is over $100 cheaper!
    Any input is well appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey Rick,

I would start with 1 mp40 & put it in the middle back if you can. There are a ton of different modes. One nice this is you can always turn it down or switch to a more gentle mode.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Your gonna want 2 MP40's eventually anyway, might as well get the real deal, you can always dial em' down.

4. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    either or will work good for you... um the mp20 if you decide it is able to be upgrade to the 40 later... but the mp20 don't have the wireless connectivity... I actually do agree w/ Xroads start off w/ one and see how it goes... i however did put mine on the side... even tho the one mp40 is enought for my 75g... i am gonna get another later...

5. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also think waverz is right your will want 2 just like i do... do i need them no... but I will prolly dial it done when i get the other one... having 2 will make it easier when you upgrade later...[​IMG]

6. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Take a look at the prices between the MP20 ($299) + the MP40W upgrade ($149), and the MP40 ($419). You can save $30 by going straight to the MP40 if you know for sure that you're going to want multiples in the same tank (which if you only want one, there's no reason to go to the MP40). The MP20 has a more attractive pricetag and allows you to get into the Vortech line without as large of an investment while still allowing you to upgrade later. Personally, if I ever go that route, I think I would go to the MP20, then upgrade later if I decided I needed to.

Also, I would keep an eye out for group buys on NanoReef and Reef Central because you can also save $$ buying that way.

Good luck with whatever you decide Rick!

--AJ

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    With that much SPS in your tank though, your going to want the added flow from the 40's. They aren't going to be frags forever!

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's what Marine Depot says about doing the upgrade:
    To execute this upgrade,
    simply unsnap the MP20 driver box, gentle remove the motor’s plug from
    the MP20 driver board, and plug this into the new Wireless Wave Driver
    board. Now, gently snap the new box top onto the base and enjoy the
    upgraded flow, many modes, and wireless communicating functionally
    inherent in your new upgraded MP40w pump!
    --AJ

9. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here how it works: this rubber boot which acts as a spacer for the motor so you have the right amount of space from the motor and wetside to accomidate the different thickness of the glass and you just pull the motor out of that spacer (which really doesn't snap more like i suction... I laughed AJ when i got mine and it said snap)and put the mp40 motor and driver (which are connected my a cord)in, but the wetside is exactly the same it just the 20, just doesn't have the power the 40 has to move as much water... then the driver wirelessly communicated to the other drivers which reports to the other motors...yada yada yada... I can't remember exactly how many, but i think if you had a HUGE tank you could control like 8 ...

10. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There is a GB on nanoreef.com. Just PM the guy and he will send you the price. I got the MP20 for $40 off with free shipping.

Oh and go with the MP40 for sure! I am putting an MP20 in a 40 breeder and its about perfect for that size tank but anything bigger you might be disappointed.

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input guys! anyone else?

12. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Group Buy link for Nano-Reef.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209548

--AJ

13. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting the link AJ. Too lazy and was trying to work on the tank. This is the group buy I was part of. After payment I got my pump about 3 days later

14. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I have 2 mp40s on my 8 foot 300gal tank and they create a 1 1/2 wave. when i set up my 75gall tank soon i will have a mp40 on it i think 1 will be enough on a 75 gal. and the mp40s are easy to install took about 10 min each for instilation and dialing in the wave.

15. Marc

Marc Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yup am a slow reader but look me bout 30 min w/ read time... i just like to know all it can do... I look forward to gettin my second on and i will just dial it down...

16. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got 2 mp40's on my 75 and love the flow, I would buy 1 mp40 as xroads said, best to get them placed early on as the corals will grow around the flow.