1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need some help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok I am getting my 100 gallon stand plans together but the person helping me out insists that I need the extra center suport. With the way he has it layed out right now there is no way I can get my sump in it. I would like, if possible, pics of other stands for tanks around this size that I can look at to see how the support is done and still alow enough space for a sump. I tried to look at some at the LFS but all they have is a catolog to order from that does not show it very good. If I have to put the sump in the basement then I will I would just rather have it in the base of my stand. Thank You, Shaun

2. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is my 120 stand, no support in middle like you are talking about.  I made a header that is two 2X6's with a 3/8" piece of plywood in between and fastened together with about 50 3" screws.  One year later and no issues, no sag whatsoever.  Also has some 1/8" plywood on the outside which is what you see in the pic.
    [​IMG]

3. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i made a stand for my 125 out of 2x6's for the top and 2x4's for legs and bottom. just make sure when you do it that the load is not all on the screws. have the head sit on the legs and the legs sit on the base. it cost me about 40bucks worth of lumber to frame it.

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure the stand for my 135g has no middle support. I'd have to double check, but almost certain nothing in there and it was a DIY stand made from pine.

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you go on reefcentral there is a DIY forum, they have a good plan in there for stands. gives your cut lengths and everything, its what i used to make mine, works well. finishing it is the hard part :)

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've seen alot of people slide there sumps in from the end of the stand when they have to have a center brace. Or build it out of steel and you'll never have to worry about it! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

7. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank You everyone. His plans had an X brace in the middle and now I can show him that we do not need. Much thanks. Shaun

8. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Should be just like figuring a span when building a house. If you want to span over say a sliding door you build a header. So I would say if you don't want to put in a center support double up on your horizontal support. But IMO that won't be needed, but if it were me I would do it anyway to be safe. The legs aren't a problem, if my memory is correct a 2x4 will hold 1900lbs. Snowman is right though, I wouldn't trust just screws.