1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need some help verifying water parameters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffmr4, Jan 31, 2018.

1. So, I sent a sample in to Triton lab and everything came back good but there were two values that were the opposite of what I was expecting. My calcium by my new reagents api test kit said 420 and tritons test said 356 and for magnesium my older salifert kit reads 1125. I find it hard to believe that those two kits are so far off as I have taken many tests with them. Could someone help me by comparing a test with their kits to mine?

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    IMO the API test kits are not very good, they give you a general range of accuracy in certain circumstances, but when you need very accurate results, I would use something else.

Calcium is one of these, the API test is just not very good. I would use Salifert, it's easy and very reliable.

The Salifert Mg test after the first 2 reagents you will get a wide color variation from test to test, but the titration step will result in a definite color change when you hit the reading so IMO that one is reliable and accurate. These are just my observations (on the color)

What did Triton list your Mg at? You left that out

3. Oh right, 1265. I can say about the Mg kit that I have two of them. I accidentally spilled the third reagent and so bought a new one. The expiration date on the first one was 9/2017. I ended up combining the third reagent of the new with the leftover from the old (of which there wasn't much of). I continued using the old reagents to use them up but after this test I used all the new ones (not set to expire until 2020) and got the same results as the old.

4. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I have the salifert kits and Hanna we could test with

5. Sure. I'll pm you.

6. Still looking for help.

7. Thanks to @Roman@Roman for letting me borrow his test kits. My test kits were off. I bought some new kits and my parameters aren't as bad as I thought. I think not doing a water change for a month has brought some of them down so doing a few water changes will bring things back up. The Triton test was accurate. But, I'll be doing water changes. Anyway, thought I'd post an update.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    What test kits did you use?

9. I used api for pH, KH and Ca. Salifert for Mg. Roman had KH, Ca and Mg Salifert tests. I then ordered from Bulk Reef Supply (not wanting to get them the cheapest possible and then wishing I had bought them at Home Grown Pets because they have them). I am using Salifert pH, KH, Ca, Mg, NO3 and Hanna for PO4. The results were 8.0, 7.5, 395, 1320, close to 0 and 0.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    You could bring your alk up to 8 to stay in a good range. Also your CA definitely needs to go up...try for 420. You will want to keep some PO 4 and NO3 so as to starve your corals, etc. So happy to hear that you went away from API!! They are pretty much worthless with SW tanks, IMO.

11. I have done a few water changes with Red Sea Coral Pro and dosed some kalkwasser. I then proceeded to get the Hanna checkers for pH, alkalinity and calcium. I've only used them once but if they are as easy to use and accurate as they seem then I would recommend them to anyone with the money.
    My readings were pH 8.2, Kh 8.6, Ca 456. Those are pretty accurate considering what's been going on in my tank. I had a slight problem with too much kalk going into the tank at one time (which I won't explain here) and used selzter water to bring the pH down.