1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need ideas for a saltwater presentation...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Apr 20, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I need some help!
    The folks at the EIAA have asked me to give presentation at there May meeting in Cedar Rapids.    The topic will be "Basics of Setting Up a Saltwater Aquarium".
    I plan to make this pretty informal but I would like to put together a list of bullet points to talk  about so I'm throwing this out for the group's consideration...
    So...  If you were setting up a new tank or better yet helping someone else setup a new tank, what little tidbits of knowledge do you think would be key to success?
    Thanks in advance everyone!
    -JB

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Start a small QT tank at the same time.

3. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    1.Read and research as much as possible before starting/buying anything. Who better to learn from then experienced reefers on these internet sites.
    2..GO SLOWLY!! Not like freshwater where you go to LFS and fill your tank with fish in a few days!!
    3.Spend more money on good equipment when starting out, the first time around. Then 6-12 months down the road (when you have gained some confidence in having a saltwater tank) you do not have to spend more money buying new/better/upgraded equipment because you now want something more than fish and liverock!! I think lighting has been the largest upgrade expense for me.
    4. Plan your fish wish list in the beginning to check for compatiability and order of when each fish should be added. Dont just purchase on impulse to get fish home and find it wont work with what you already have-or that it is known to eat corals.

Hope this helps
    jolene

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    JB I would start out with the 3 main aspects of a salt water tank. 

1 Water flow
    2 Lighting 
    3 filtration
    Then you could break each one down into different categories!
     1 Water flow.
       a, how much
       b, what kinds
       c,  the different equipment needed
    ect...
    Just some ideas..
    -Rick-

5. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You could present highights from Mike Paletta's book "The New Marine Aquarium". Outline the presentation based on the table of contents and then summarize each chapter. It's pretty basic material, but very helpful for those new to saltwater - like me.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    First I would tell them to make a plan of what they want in a SW tank.

A fish only tank has different needs then a full blown sps reef

7. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 04/20/2009 07:26 PM
    The folks at the EIAA have asked me to give presentation at there May meeting in Cedar Rapids.    The topic will be "Basics of Setting Up a Saltwater Aquarium".
    I'm a member of the EIAA and will be there...I'm looking forward to meeting you. There are a few regulars at the meetings who have saltwater tanks.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started out only wanting a FOWLR too...