1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need hospital tank asap

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Jtown, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need small 10gallon or so quarantine tank asap. I have a sick clown that hasn't eaten in 4 days and has white stringy poo hanging from him. Other clown and all corals are great so want to qt this guy asap.

Problem is I go outtatown in the morn and have a friend taking care of my tank so want to set up hospital tank tonite to treat fish and in case he doesn't make it don't want amonia spike to hurt everything else.

Anybody have a small, cheap tank to let go that I could set up tonite... Or have alternative ideas of what to do or try? Horrible timing I kno!!!

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Have you tried feeding him some spirulna flakes or such. They are an omnivore & need vegetable in their diet. Usually white stringy poop is a sign they are lacking in that dept.

If not stop at your nearest hardware store & pick up any larger bucket you can use. It doesnt have to be pretty, just functional.

Where do you live?

GL
    Craig

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in des moines by merle hay. What all needs to be in it to function properly? Have a spare heater and just cheap old air pump. Ps thanks in advance! Everybody here is so helpful and it's appreciated ALOT!!!

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've tried feeding everything under the sun. He use to eat out of my hand so he is def Ill. Last time he ate was Saturday. He hides down in the corner all day just hovering above substrate. No visible parasites on body, eyes don't look cloudy. No fish picking on him that I've seen. He went from begging for food all day and eating anything I put in to this. I'm stumped.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've tried feeding everything under the sun. He use to eat out of my hand so he is def Ill. Last time he ate was Saturday. He hides down in the corner all day just hovering above substrate. No visible parasites on body, eyes don't look cloudy. No fish picking on him that I've seen. He went from begging for food all day and eating anything I put in to this. I'm stumped.

6. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Could be an internal parasite or bacterial infection. That QT tank may last 3-4 days before the ammonia gets out of control. You really need to get a hold of a cycled biological filter to do the QT properly. Unless if you want to do 100% water changes every 2 days.

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

FYI-

Wal-Mart sells 10 gallon tanks for $10, around $12 @ Petco.

-Eric

8. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is there any non copper meds or coral safe stuff, that actually works, to add rite to tank or is that just a BAD idea!?!

9. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bad idea. DOn't ever treat the tank. Especially if you're not sure what your fish has.

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Justin, too bad, I could have brought you a ten this morning.
    First, what are your parameters? Get serious about checking them tonight. This is a real tough one considering you are going to LV tomorrow. Personally I think you are giving him a death sentence if you put him in QT and leave unless your friend knows what he is doing. Remember fish can go quite a while without eating. This is sounding more like a new tank issue than actual disease unless you can actually see something on him or he is rubbing or something.
    When will you be back? I am assuming Sunday. I think my advice is to analyze your parameters as closely as possible tonight and do a significant water change. Possibly add a carbon filter if you don't have it already and leave him in there.
    Sucks dude, wish I was closer to help. I could stop over tomorrow afternoon but that won't help much now with you leaving tomorrow.

11. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I decided against the qt tank just for the simple fact I am leaving, as you said. Checked all param a bit ago…
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate less than 5, almost untraceable
    Ph 8.1
    Salinity 1.023
    Temp 77.2 now but up to 78.8 mid day

Also checked phosphate which are barely traceable, calcium at about 400ppm. I don’t know what type of impact those would have on a fish but checked just to be safe. Also have one other clown and a 6 line wrasse in there and are both very happy/healthy. The clown that is sick, or acting weird use to eat out of my hand but now just turns away at all I put in there.

I did 20% water change an hour ago also. What do you suggest? I told the guy watching my house to just keep an eye on him.

Here is the things I did before I noticed the change….. Last Friday I did 25% w/c, temp stayed within 1 degree and salinity didn’t change. The Thursday right before I added purigen and chemi-pure elite and eliminated the carbon/stock filter. Then Sunday is when the eating stopped. Do you think the added chemicals could affect him?

Thanks for the response and help.

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adding that new media might be the issue. Maybe try switching back to the carbon sock and see how he looks when you get back. Did you temp your replacement water before adding it to the tank? Your PH is kind of on the low side, but not horrible.