1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need help with Quarantine tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, May 1, 2009.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    So a week ago my royal gramma that I had been nursing in my quarantine tank finally died.  I had been nursing it for 2 months.  Within 24 hours, the bangaii cardinal and a new royal gramma also died (also in the quarantine tank - new fish I purchased two weeks earlier).  I'm guessing it might have been an ammonia spike - though my test only showed between .1 & .2, and nitrate was at 10-15.  Or maybe the old royal gramma actually had a disease.  Never knew. 
    Anyway, I want to get the quarantine tank set-up again - and that's what I'm looking for advice on.  I think that it would be best to totally empty the water and clean it good (with vinegar or bleach??)  since I'm not sure what caused the death of the fish.  I have one small piece of live rock in the tank.  It was added only about a month ago, to help with the bio-load.  There is a mushroom on the rock and it still looks good.  Do I need to take any precautions with the rock?  I don't really want to keep it in the quarantine tank.  Can I add it back directly to my display tank??  Does it need to be dipped or something??  Should the sponge filter be cleaned well also - destroying any bacteria that might have accumulated?  - then put it back in my display tank for a week before I start the quarantine tank up again?  Or since the sponge is so cheap, just discard and use a new one?????

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it were me I'd be extremely careful. Nuke the tank with some bleach and then rinse it very well. Get rid of the sponge filter and pick up a new one, and the rock is your call, but if it were me, I'd ditch it too. You really don't want to mess around with ToDs (Tanks of death).

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i wouldn't have had more than one fish in quarantine at a time. It's not really quarantine if you keep adding things to it. The isolation allows you to observe and know that the fish isn't contracting anything while it's in quarantine.
    Best thing to do now is sanitize and take your time, I'm wanting to say the sponge needs more than a week to get seeded with bacteria too. and might as well get a new one since that are cheap, it'd be easier than cleaning the one you have.