1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need help with fan info.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Oct 12, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to buy some new quieter fans for my canopy this week. I have people coming up this weekend and my fan now is quite loud. It's off an air hockey table so it puts out some serious air. I was hoping to buy a couple computer fans to spread out the air movement and they are way quieter. The problem I have is once I buy them I don't know how I would go at hooking them up. Is this possible? If so, do I have to buy some converter for them? I was just looking at running up to best buy or something, here's what I was looking at:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...6004520415)

Please let me know if this is a good idea or if there's something else I should get instead...

Thanks, Adam

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have a couple icecap fans with thermostats and DC power adapters. They aren't super quiet but turn on automatically and we could trade for some rics.

Let me know.

3. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Let me get my razor! haha.

4. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I started with 5 rics, now have 10 or 11. I say or 11 because there was one piece were about 3-4 little bumps are still attached to the frag plug. Most mushrooms would still be ok, not sure if rics are any more sensitive. I need more super glue!

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just an FYI... i bought those same fans for my pc and they are far from quiet. Probably quieter than an air hockey table, but even running a single fan one can definitely hear they are running even with headphones on.

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Bela, are you talking about the ones from Best Buy? I just picked the first ones I found on their site to explain my problems with the plugins. I didn't do any research comparison to see which ones were the quietest vs. output vs. price yet, just wanted to know what people thought. I'll prolly go with Jeremey's Ice Cap fans since they're intended for saltwater use. If I need more I'll look into some of the computer fans. Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out the noise levels on each of them.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You can actually get some case fans that you can barely hear online. They are 12v so all you need is a DC adapter and wire them up your self.

These are supposed to be some of the quietest fans available.
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/category=Noctua_Case_Fans.html

Mine will be cheaper and are built for saltwater applications.

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jeremy, do you know exactly which ice cap fans yours are? I'm wondering to know if one will fit in the opening I already have cut...

9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    These...
    Wow, didn't know they were worth that much. Oh well.
     LOL 

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I was referring to the Dynex ones. Don;t get me wrong, the pull a lot of air, just at the price of lots of sound /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ha...when I saw that, I figured you must have just been in a *really* generous mood today.  That was a heck of a deal.
    --AJ

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well I am in a generous mood and want to get rid of most of this fish tank stuff I don't need anymore. Besides that the fans aren't exactly new but still work well.

13. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I also think you need to get more corals out of me for that! haha. I'll check out what I all have that I can frag and I'll send you a PM.

14. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0