1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need help getting Apex setup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by got2lb, Jan 1, 2018.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to setting up my Apex. I bought it used 3 years ago and have never done anything with it.

This is the same unit that I have except that I do not have the screen that goes with it. I am planning on hooking up a tablet to it so I can view everything on that. All the info I've found says to use the screen to wipe everything out and start over. Can someone please point me in the right direction to get me going? I bought a wireless access point to connect it to.

THANKS!

[​IMG]

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Have you read the info over at neptune to attempt to get it online? Get Started Guide - Apex Classic
    Once you can get it connected and get fusion set up its really not bad to get the basics going and figuring out the controller. The drop downs handle all the basic stuff. If you get into more complicated stuff and more complex programming post up what you're trying to do and someone will help out with ways to do the programming.

If you get stuck somewhere in the setup there will be someone that can help you out. Lots of members have the apex including myself.

@Region: Waterloo & Cedar Falls
    Anyone in the area to help out?

3. Kendall Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Dike, IA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    I can help out! I’m in Dike - not too far from Clarksville. I could bring my display along so we can get it running. Once it’s running, you can do MOST things via Apex’s Fusion web interface.

Wireless will work for everything, bu Apex does suggest a hard wired connection when doing firmware updates.

Shoot me a PM with your address. I may be able to stop by some night after work next week. This week and weekend are pretty busy for us.

Kendall

4. Will E

Will E

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been using APEX for several years. I'm not a fan of the Fusion web interface however. I prefer the app for several reasons. I'm in Waverly. Let me know if you need a hand.

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the offers. I'll look through the get started guide to see if I can get some figured out. I didn't mess with it to long last night. I'm not a real tech guy. I'll be in touch maybe next week, I'll see what my kids basketball schedule looks like @Kendall@Kendall I'm pretty busy this week as well, my truck gelled up and trying to get that going.

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I read through the link that @blackx-runner@blackx-runner linked to. It all looks pretty straight forward. Question is, it says I have to use the "token" that you find on the apex display to link it to the website. Is there a way of getting this without the display or am I pretty much stuck until I can get someone with a display to help out?

Thanks!

7. Kendall Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Dike, IA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    I don’t know if a way to find it without the display. Someone else may know how but I sure don’t.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I've never done it without the display, not sure on that one either.

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Yes, I do not know for sure either. You might want to give Neptune Systems a shout out or ask/check on their Forum: Neptune Systems Community

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    If you hook your apex and a laptop directly to your router, download the "apex browser utility" software onto the lap top, you can directly connect to the apex and perform about any kind of setup you want. You can also get a token through that avenue. You might need to create a fusion account first.

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    @Waterrat41@Waterrat41 ok I have a fusion acct created and I downloaded the browser utility and have the apex connected to my laptop via the ethernet cable. There is a configure button which just takes you to the host name and IP address info. When I click on open in browser it just says that site can't be reached.

Any help how to access this?

12. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I think you need to have both the laptop and apex hooked to your router, not directly together. When it works the way it's supposed to, you then open the browser utility and it will list the apex it finds on your home network. highlight that apex on the list then the "open in browser" button will become active and you can click it. if that worked you will need to enter a username of admin and a pw of password or 1234, can't remember for sure. this should access your apex main dashboard. Use internet explorer, it doesn't like chrome.
    If I remember right, on the main dashboard page there is a button labeled "link" or "get token" you click that and after a while you get a code to enter, I think it showed up in the link button.
    ...pasted from the manual;
    Link your controller to Apex Fusion a. After signing into your Apex Fusion account, you’ll see a message to “Link” an Apex with Apex Fusion, Select this. b. Enter your link token from 5c above. c. See Chapter 7 for more information on utilizing and using Apex Fusion
    After a successful link the button used to get a token code will change to "fusion ok"

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well after google searching and trying things for hours yesterday I did finally get to a login screen. But admin and 1234 did not work to login. Not sure if there's something else going on there or if it had been changed by the previous owner which will not allow me to login. So at this point I guess I'll wait until I can get with @Kendall@Kendall or someone else that has a display they can bring up to help get it going.

14. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    That's a bummer,...Any way you can contact the previous owner to see what they may have changed the login to?

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I bought it probably 3 years ago. I'll have to see if I can search through some threads and messages to see if I can even figure out who I bought it from.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So there's no way to hard-reset an Apex to the default everything?

17. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    @Bud@Bud from what I've read the only way to accomplish this is to have the apex display. Then you can go into that and factory reset it.

• Noteworthy! Noteworthy! x 1
    • List
  18. Kendall Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Dike, IA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    @got2lb@got2lb - Just now reading this. Sorry I didn’t see it sooner. I’d love to come over and help. However, we leave Saturday for Florida. We’ll be back next Friday. Maybe we can set up a time next weekend?

19. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I helped another reefer out who had this exact same issue (second hand Apex without a screen). We had to hook it up to my screen in order to change the unknown password/factory reset. Once that was done you can do pretty much everything else via the web interface (not the Fusion site). You can get Fusion set up from either the web interface or while you have the temporary display hooked up. Once that's all running you should be fine without the display... just don't forget your login!

I have a display but I rarely use it for anything... I have a dedicated Kindle Fire which I use to control everything.

kindle.jpg

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I already have the tablet ready to go, just need to get the APEX wiped out and reset first so I can get going.