1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need Help!!! Devils Hand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxface, Sep 24, 2008.

1. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. I bought a large Devils hand coral about 3 weeks ago. It is about 10 inches in diameter when fully expanded. It took a good 12 days or so before the polyps came out and stayed out and expanded to its fullest potential. Over the last 4 days it has not expanded and polyps are not coming out and have noticed a blue color on different areas of the leather. Today I noticed a white film covering parts of the coral. It allmost looks like cobwebs. The color looks better today and looks like it is a little healthier except for the the mucus it seems to be excreating. Any one have any ideas of what i should do or what may be happening.
    Thanks for your time.
    John

2. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I forgot. Params seem normal. No sign of nitrates salinity 1.024, DKH 12, PH 8.2 don't have a phos kit yet. The tank is about 4 months old and everything else looking great.

3. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do you have an anemone in the tank? because i know that if my anemone gets too close to my devils hand it will do a similar thing to it.. if you dont, you might want to look for other predators that could be on it...starfish, nudis..

4. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No. I don't have any anemone's in my tank. One thing i did notice when things started to turn for the worse was that a hermit crab was on it and it stayed on it for several hours. That was a few days ago and hasn't been on it since.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Leathers are very picky when you move them. They also seem to close up for a couple days when they are shedding. Just make sure its getting a little bit of flow and not getting hammerd with intense lighting and it should be ok.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine seemed to act weird like that when it was shedding.

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can increase the flow to it to help it shed. If it does not get enough flow it may "suffocate" under the "slime coat" it is shedding. That could be the "blue" color you are seeing. Don't worry about the crab, they actually help by breaking up and loosening the "slime coat".

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I should also mention that a fresh filterpad and activated carbon seems to help (if you are using either on your system).

9. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello everyone. Thanks for all your input. Today it is looking spectacular. All back to normal I hope.

Thanks again.

John