1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

need advice on stocking tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Dec 1, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    my tank is pretty new and i want to get a couple fish and a zenia coral.
    tank has been set up for a couple months with 1-2 inches of sugar sized arrgonite sand
    130-150 pounds of homemade rock and 70 pounds of real live rock.
    the real live rock had quite a few shrooms on it and some smaller type organisms that are all doing really well. i have noticed quite a bit of growth of really small shrooms that have grown larger.
    my tank went thru diatom algae and a wicked hair algae outbreak but its 99 percent gone now.
    i put 100 turbo snails and 12 cerinth snails along with 100 blue leg hermits and 5 peppermint shrimp. by the way i am going to be getting rid of some turbos because ive read that they need to eat frequently.
    i havnt seen anything dead in the tank yet.
    theres 3 yellow tailed blue damsals in there too all doing good.
    ive done a water change earlier in the week and nitrate is at about 5ppm.
    all the other perameters are good.
    im pretty sure the tank has went thru its cycle, because i have been feeding the crap out of the fish and from all the snail poop after eating the remnants of my algae outbreak, ammonia/nitrite is undetectable.
    so can i start out slow adding a couple small fish and a medium sized zenia.
    dont be shy just tell me what you think.
    [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shawn i addes fish and corals to my tank 5 days laster my tanks is doing great thing are spreding like crazzy i have never mad home make rock so i dont klnow what the cure time is and all that why is your tank so blue ? was wondering what kinda lights u have doing it thaks

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your tank looks nice.  How long has it been setup?  I usually go out about 3 months before I add fish, but alot of people go sooner and have luck with them.  Your tanks a 125 gallon right?  If so you can get tang's, anthias, clownfish, gobies, blennies etc.  What ever peaks your interest, be sure to check on compatability and make sure your read up on the fish, there can be aggression issues.  If you want to unload a few turbo's I would be willing to buy a few for my new tank, the rock is cycled but I might run into some algae problems.

4. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By keith on 12/01/2007 10:12 AM
    shawn i addes fish and corals to my tank 5 days laster my tanks is doing great thing are spreding like crazzy i have never mad home make rock so i dont klnow what the cure time is and all that why is your tank so blue ? was wondering what kinda lights u have doing it thaks
    it does look very blue in the pic, but in person it is a perfect color. it is actually very brite
    i dont know what the deal is with my ballasts but they seem to burn bulbs very white or brite looking.
    i had 3-175w xm 10k bulbs on it and they had to go, they were very white, brite bulbs.
    with actinics there is 909 watts of light on it.
    those are 20k halides with alot of actinic supplementing them and it doesnt look that blue in person.
    it is similar to AEs coral tanks lighting beleive it or not.
    --------i seen einsteins tank and it looked really good with 20k bulbs so i switched.
    as far as the homemade rock goes, it cured in a pool in my backyard for 3-4 months, i made it in may and took it out at the end of august when i moved to bettendorf, i did the ph tests on it and it was all good to go. you wouldnt beleive the stuff that leaches out of homemade rock.
    call me later and you can come look at it tonight if ya want, anybody else fgor that matter, is welcome.

5. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 12/01/2007 10:41 AM
    with actinics there is 909 watts of light on it.
    those are 20k halides with alot of actinic supplementing them and it doesnt look that blue in person.
    it is similar to AEs coral tanks lighting beleive it or not.
    --------i seen einsteins tank and it looked really good with 20k bulbs so i switched.       
    i take that back i was just up at AE and my lights look quite a bit different, but i still prefer mine.
    my lights have a kinda purple/ white look to them, but still they are very brite looking, i like them quite a bit.

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/01/2007 10:21 AM
    Your tank looks nice.  How long has it been setup?  I usually go out about 3 months before I add fish, but alot of people go sooner and have luck with them.  Your tanks a 125 gallon right?  If so you can get tang's, anthias, clownfish, gobies, blennies etc.  What ever peaks your interest, be sure to check on compatability and make sure your read up on the fish, there can be aggression issues.  If you want to unload a few turbo's I would be willing to buy a few for my new tank, the rock is cycled but I might run into some algae problems.
    thanks for the compliment
    its been set up a couple months now, well i should say its had real live rock in it since the frag swap, everything in it was brand new, no organisms from the sea or any established tank.
    yeah its a 125 72x18x22
    ill give you a yell here pretty soon on the turbos, im gonna get rid of 25 to start with, i see no need for a 100 of them in my tank, they say they will die pretty quick without a good food source.
    i am going to wait another month i think on getting anything in there, i went up to AE today and looked around.
    the only thing that sparks my interest as far as fish go, are clownfish.
    i would really like to have a lawnmower blenny but i dont have much for it to eat i dont think.
    while i was up there i asked them to order me a magnesium test kit and suggested he order a couple more because i knew other people interested in them.
    he got me one, didnt say whether he was ordering any extras.