1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

need advice on skimmer/overflobox/sump/flow loop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benji, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have a glass 55g w/ nice black stand just collecting dust in the garage and have decided to put it to use as a crusty tank dedicated to several species of decorator crabs.
    i have a 10g sump/fuge built and here is where i hit a road block.  i have been looking over plans for an overflow box and pipe meanwhile i stumbled upon this;http://www.pentairaquatics.com/products/detail/customflo2.html
    this complete system runs about 40 dollars but, could be made from scratch [however, i do like the ''clean look'' of the black hardware].  here are my questions regarding such a system.
    what are the pros and cons when compared to an ovrflo box.
    would i use one pump/power head to pull water from tank to sump/fuge and then another pump/power head to move h2o from sumpfuge back to tank.
    is a spray bar a necessity.
    note; from sump to tank will be approx 3 feet and i would rather not try to drill the tank w/ a diamond bit, but if that is an easier route...i would onsider it.
    thanks for any help or recomendations.
    i hope i have provided enough pertinent infomation,
    ben

2. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The return kit you linked to will only work with canister filters not as a replace for an overflow.

There is no real way around it if you want a sump you either need to drill or buy an overflow.

The "would i use one pump/power head to pull water from tank to sump/fuge and then another pump/power head to move h2o from sumpfuge back to tank." never works as it is impossible to match the two pumps exactly.

You would use a single return pump and a overflow. In that the overflow just ends end returning what ever the pump puts up there.

Hope this helps

3. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/10/2007 11:22 AM
    The return kit you linked to will only work with canister filters not as a replace for an overflow.
    There is no real way around it if you want a sump you either need to drill or buy an overflow.
    The "would i use one pump/power head to pull water from tank to sump/fuge and then another pump/power head to move h2o from sumpfuge back to tank." never works as it is impossible to match the two pumps exactly.
    You would use a single return pump and a overflow. In that the overflow just ends end returning what ever the pump puts up there.
    Hope this helpsCovey
    How did the PVC overflows you guys were building work out?
    Billy

4. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The 1 1/4" one built worked flawlessly for a year and a half until I upgraded to the 150G.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/nice-cheap-diy-overflow-29396.html
    At 242 replies and 54,000 views (most on that forum) it must work OK/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif