1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need advice on prop tank lighting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a 24" T5-HO fixture over my new propogation tank and I would like to order some new bulbs for it.
    I don't know that much about T5 bulbs, so I'm looking for some input on what mix of bulbs I should get.
    I'm looking for a decent balance between growth and color, so...
    Which combination of 4 bulbs from this page should I use and why?
    Thanks!
    -JB

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would go UVL 75/25 for the outer 2 lights. The middle I would use the GE 3000K & a super antinic by UVL

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well this isn't advice on lighting but make sure when your power or pump turns off your prop tub doesn't completely drain like mine did and kill everything....live and learn i guess.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh no Jeremy, was that recently??  I surely hope not.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think it happened monday night, the breaker to my pwer center flipped causing my return pump to stop pumping which caused the prop tub to back siphon into my sump and completely drain. The circ pumps were running dry and and woke up my wife, i went downstairs and got everything going agin but i guess it was too late, i have no idea how long the corals were out of the water for but it was long enough. I lost quite a bit of my stuff along with craigs and lees colonies. It looks like a few pieces may make it but there are easilly over 100 corals dead....to think all i would have needed was a check valve and everything still would have been ok.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm really sorry that happened Jeremy

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy:

Sorry to hear about your frag tank. That really sucks. I think I have mine setup so that it can't siphon down that far.

Craig:

Why would you pick the 3K's over the 6.5K or the 10K's?

-JB

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Cause the 3K is going to really give more growth potential then the higher numbers. Using the 75/25 & antinics will help balance it out & give you the good color. Then you can have good growth along with good color

9. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xroads,  what would you set the timers at for those bulbs?
    set the 75/25 to come on fist then the 3K to simulate high noon, or just turn them all on shortly after each other and let them go for 10 to 12 hrs?

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would run all but the 3k for 3 hours, then all for for 6 hours, and & then 3 again for 3 hours. You may have to ease the 3k in though so you dont bleach them