1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need advice on lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Garrett, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone!  I am setting up a 30 gallon tall (24" tall) and don't know what to do about lighting.  I have a 2x55w PC for it now, but I am thinking about upgrading.  I am mostely interested in softies and LPS for now.  These are my options:
    I found a new Aquamedic 150w HQI pendant light, includes a phoenix 14k bulb for 120$.  The problem with this is that I won't be able to hang it from the ceiling or anything so I don't know how I would suspend it over my tank.
    Another option I have is a 175w MH retrofit used with a new 20k bulb. this is 90$.  If I did this, I was going to try to build a canopy for it.  maybe even take apart one of my PCs and put it in there too if there would be any benefit for that. 
    Or I am thinking about just sticking with my PCs for a while.  The reason for that would be the heat issue (and cost of course), but if MH make that big of a difference I might switch.
    thanks for any advice!

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    If it were me I'd go with a 175 retro with a regular spider reflector, for softies and sps this would be almost optimal. The heat issue isn't as bad with a 175 as you may think, especially since your running pc's. MH's give a tank something special look wise...it's hard to beat them. Do you research and ask our questions it's the best way to learn, if you can find someone close to you that has MH's maybe see if you can check them out...how there wired, fans, etc. Hope this helps Jason

3. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot for the input Jason! The MH retrofit does come with the spider reflector. Is 90$ a good price for the set up? I have an old 55x2 PC not being used and I was thinking about taking it apart and adding it to the canopy too, is there any benefit to that, or is the MH enough?

4. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Well in all honesty you will most likely burn your house down. MH reflectors are built to space the halide away from the mounting surface so it can properly disipate the heat. Long story short it will most likely heat up and over time it will probably start a fire. Does that 90 include the ballast? If it does that a heck of a deal as MH bulbs usually run between 50 and 80 bucks (depending on wattage and brand)

5. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol wow good thing you said something. yeah it includes the bulb, magnetic ballast, spyder reflector, and new 20k bulb

6. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    just curious where's it comming from? if it's e-bay think twice. Also whats the ballast and bulb brand?

7. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is used from a guy on reef central. I sent him a message about an hour ago asking for the brand and pictures. Is there a brand I should stay away from?

8. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    not really but it's always good to know before hand.

9. Garrett

Garrett Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well thanks a lot for all your help Jason. I think you talked me into upgrading!