1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need advice on fish only setup...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 120, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I drilled my 20 gallon and am ready to set it up tomorrow, but have a few lingering questions about a fish only system.  Keeping in mind that the main reason for this tank is to act as a quarantine for new fish before they go into my reef with a secondary reason of holding a couple not reef safe fish...
    1) Should I put any live sand in the 10 gallon refugium?  How about chaeto?  I would only do so for the filtration benefits, but would really prefer not to have any.
    2) I've got white PVC for the drain pipe and some of it is visible in the tank.  Can it be painted and if so, what kind of paint should I use?  I'd like to make it plain old black.
    3) How do you cycle a FO system?  I know that should be a simple one but I am so used to thinking about a reef that I don't remember what to do!!!
    My goal is to have a very clean, modern looking system.  No rock, no sand, no silly tank decorations (fake coral, etc...), no paint or shelf paper on the back.  I want crystal clear water in a totally fish only tank so it looks like they are hovering in the room.  I'll be running the water through a 100 micron filter sock setup in a 10 gallon refugium that will be hidden from sight.  Also running in the fuge will be a uv sterilizer and carbon.
    Please help me by answering my questions.  I promise to put up pictures tomorrow!

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well a quarantine tank is just that, a qt tank, thay are supposed to be sterile as possible. i guess it wouldnt hurt a bit to put some pvc paices in there or maybe a plastic plant just to make it homey.

if i were you and wanted a qt tank i would just go buy a sponge filter and keep it running in my sump a week or so before using it in a qt tank, and then get a small heater and small pump.

having sand and cheato, rock and all that other stuff in one would really not benifit you at all, especially if you needed to medicate your tank.

sponge filters will get seeded in a week i used to do it all the time with freshwater tanks.

when your done qting just break it all down and store it.

set your other tank up as a fish only tank and do what you want with it.

3. Deleted member 120

Deleted member 120 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well spent the time this weekend to get the new system up and running.  After a minor accident (15 gallons of salt water on my livingroom floor) everything is running fine now.  Here are some shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again, the goal is to setup a very clean, plain tank that will draw your attention to the fish.  What does everyone think?

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    (Pssst...someone stole yer fish....)

/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Not bad at all. I like the idea of a minimalist tank. Only thing that would concenr me would be the protein skimmer angle. Depending on the agressivness of the fish you choose for the system, you might be under filtrated...

5. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where are the aneorobic bactieria that break down the fish waste going to live? Without live rock or bio-balls or a foam filter or something ,they don't have anything to seed. You've probably already thought of this, I was just wondering.

6. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looks great

what kind of pooch is that in the top pic?

7. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

Is that a protien skimmer or a UV sterilizer? What did you do for a bulkhead? Is that PVC painted black or ABS plastic? Sorry about all the ????s

Looks really cool though.

8. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice start!