1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Need 90 gal tank lid

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by mdk014, Sep 3, 2009.

1. mdk014

mdk014 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I bought my 90 gal tank used and it came with a cheap home made plexi glass lid for the top of the tank. I didn't think much of it as I planned to just buy a new one. Not so easy! My tank doesn't have a center brace and I am having a heck of a time finding a lid. Any body have one for sale or idea where I can buy one? I tried Adam's and Iowa Pet in Des Moines.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If it were me, I would just make a simple center brace from acrylic. Silicone it in place and you should be fine. Run a thin strip of acrylic along the top to keep the lids from sliding into each other and another strip on the underside of it so that it kind of conforms to the shape of the lip. It should be pretty simple. Then you could just buy the two foot lids that are much easier to come by.

--AJ

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may also think about going to a glass shop and having the glass cut for you. They can recommend a thickness based on the amount of open area where the glass needs to support itself. Might be cheaper as well!?!?

4. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unless you are placing something inside the tank that requires a solid lid (AKA octopus or somthing similar) I would recommend against even putting a lit on your tank.  The cons of lids far outway the benifits of them.  Most of the reefers with the club as well as the hobby tend to not use them.
    CONS:
    - Trap heat in tank
    - Reduce light penitration
    - Reduce water oxygen exchange
    - Make feeding a more of pain (depends on lid design).
    If you have fish that tend to jump, you would probably be far better off to just get some light difusing panel cut to size an place over tank.  This will still allow good light penitration (somewhat reduced though), allow the heat to get out of the tank, as well as promote good oxygen exchange for the water.
    Just my 2 pennies worth.

5. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with CyberJester. My post was made assuming that there was a requirement to have a lid on the tank. I used them on my freshwater tank, but don't plan to on my saltwater.

I've also heard that you can use make a custom screen for the top with materials from your local hardware store for pretty cheap too. I've seen screen that has 1 cm squares, much larger than your standard window screen, that would take care of jumping fish while still allowing for excellent light penetration. Even in the case of a custom screen, I would consider putting in a middle brace just because a 2 foot screen would be easier to deal with than a 4 foot.

--AJ

6. mdk014

mdk014 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey all. Thanks for the responses. I have a CurrentUSA T5 set up for lights with feet on them. I bought the CurrentUSA set up thinking I wouldn't use a lid because I put the feet on the lights. It's really a lot easier not dealing with a lid. I was just getting concerned with the salt residue getting on the light fixture. I take the plastic piece off the light fixture and wipe off the salt but wasn't sure if this could harm the fixture over time or not. ?

7. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shouldn't cause a problem, there should be a lens over all of the lamps correct.  Just every month or so, take some CLR and clean the lenses.