1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Naso vs Powder Brown Tang

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by h2so4hurts, Nov 8, 2008.

1. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These are both great fish, but which one would be easiest to add to an established tank? I have a blue hippo tang, a yellow longnose butterfly, 3 chromis, and a pair of ocellaris.  I've read that Naso's aren't very friendly with other tangs if they're not introduced at the same time.  I haven't seen the same for Powder Browns.  Anyone have experience with both? 
    Tank is a 120 with a 55 refugium sump, 160lbs of LR, and 60lbs of large grain arogonite substrate.

2. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had both and actually I had to worry more about the Tangs I already had picking on the new one either the PBT or the Naso. My Powder Brown did pick on the Achillies that had though. I would go with the Naso. According to Drs F&S the Naso is peacefull and have read that other places as well, while the PBT has a Semi-aggressive temperament. I hope this helps

3. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that too. It calls the Powder Brown semi-aggressive, but says it needs to have peaceful tank mates and it says the naso is peaceful, but may not tolerate other tangs very well.

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I had a powder brown and a hippo tang in my tank for awhile. Once the powder brown got bigger he constantly picked on the hippo and I had to get rid of the brown. I have a 75 so maybe you will have better luck in a 120

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm not sure that's a risk I want to take with a $100 fish...

6. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    100 dolla fish? I didnt know they were that much now. I got mine at petco for about $30- $35 several years ago. Of course if you bought it at a normal pet store it probably would be about that much.

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, because I don't have enough time to mess around with a QT, I just ask Hung to hang onto the fish for a few weeks in his tanks to make sure the fish are healthy. It's worth the extra couple dollars /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif I think $50 is the going rate on-line.