1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

nano reefers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishyness, Apr 3, 2009.

1. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Anyone here do small reef tanks?  I have an empty 35 and a 20. Was thinking corals only-no fish. Bad idea?

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Get some small fish like gobies, clownfishes, or dartfish. The fish provide a lot of enjoyment to the experience. They all have tons of personality. I love to have tons of fish, I currently have 11 fish in my 72 gallon tank and it's really fun to watch them display their personalities...

3. fishyness

fishyness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking more about the water parameters in a small tank.  I think it would be easier to control with no fish .

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a 30g set up for 2yrs. The biggest problem was keeping it topped off! I would recommend a GOOD auto top off setup. I was adding water every day, not that big a deal until you go out of town for a week.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes that is a Manderin, He was raised on brine shrimp, hard to fined but well worth the search! DO NOT get one for your 30g unless he will eat prepared foods or he will not survive in your 30g.
    [​IMG]

5. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a 12g Aquapod. I have had no real problems so far with having fish in mine and keeping the params where they need to be.

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 33gal reef with a 20gal sump. some people consider it a nano. I've actually considered going fishless, but you do lose a lot of personality. also, when you don't have fish, you don't get the great satisfaction of fighting algae all the time.