1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mystery Box of Crap

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Travis, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hello All,
    It has been awhile since I last posted in here.  Looks like everything is going well.  
    So, the wife was (all great stories start like this and usually end up costing me money or time...)  cleaning the other day and thought...  "Hey you don't use your stuff in the fish room very often, can the kids have it for a toy room?" 
    After careful negotiations (I get rid of my stuff or I sleep on the couch...) I have gone through all of my old things and have a tub of items used through the years from reef keeping to fish breeding that I need to get rid of.  There is even a sweet Seaclone skimmer in there, completely intact dirt and all.  There are some pumps and other crap.
    If anyone wants to sort through it, it is yours.  Deal is first come first served.
    Box is located at my home and clinic at:
    Family First Chiropractic
    1715 1st Street West
    Independence, IA 50644
    319 334-7445
    First Independence Exit coming from Waterloo on Highway 20, right between Subway and McDonalds.

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This stuff free? >.>

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    haha, I was thinking about putting one of those together too... but I don't think I could compete with JJ and his power tool give aways.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That power tool wasnt all that, there was a reason it was in there. That damn drill, pisses me off everytime i use it, i think it has a short as it only works %60 of the time.

5. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes this box of crap is free. There are powerheads, airpumps, airline bacteria filters, old phytoplankton disks, phytoplankton fertilizer, Seaclone skimmer, etc... I think there are a few magnetic glass cleaners in there too...

6. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Couple slightly used HOB filters.

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    damn, you are going to make me drive out there tomorrow night if no one claims it first

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about doing something like this, only I could call it the Mystery Truckload of Crap, I sure do have a TON of stuff I haven't even looked at in like a year. Like my prized PVC fitting collection, I think I have more fittings than the local dept. store. Heh

9. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL, the box has tons of PVC elbows and loc-line that was used to plumb the old broodstock tanks. You could add that to the collection. BTW craig the phyto discs are dry, but you might still get a few good cells off them. Worth a try anyway. The fertilizer should be good.

Craig do you have the picasso's at your place?

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Of course my wife said I had to goto little league game tonight or I would be sleeping on the couch.

Yes I have the picasso's, been about 6 weeks or so.

They look great, just wont lay eggs.

11. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 06/04/2009 06:59 AM
    Of course my wife said I had to goto little league game tonight or I would be sleeping on the couch.
    A skimmer in exchange for a night on the couch, still sounds like a good deal to me. [​IMG]

12. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't be too hard on them.  My fastest pair took 56 days to start spawning again and I spent a ton of money duplicating their original tank and even moved their old water with them.  I later moved them again from one tank to another and completely changed the tank to a smaller tank and nothing but a clay pot in it.  That time they spawned 2 weeks later only missing one nest...  They are called clowns for a reason...
    I really need to come check your setup out.  What temp and light schedule are you running?  What are you feeding?

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 06/04/2009 09:09 AM

Don't be too hard on them.  My fastest pair took 56 days to start spawning again and I spent a ton of money duplicating their original tank and even moved their old water with them.  I later moved them again from one tank to another and completely changed the tank to a smaller tank and nothing but a clay pot in it.  That time they spawned 2 weeks later only missing one nest...  They are called clowns for a reason...
    I really need to come check your setup out.  What temp and light schedule are you running?  What are you feeding?
    That makes feel alot better,  I knew it might take awhile when you change their enviornment.
    I have 2 pair in a 125, split in half by egg crate.  It is plumbed into my main system for stability.  Right now the temp is 80.  I have t-5s over them right now on about 14 hours a day.  I just added a RBTA about a week ago & they took to it last night.
    I bought some petsmart tanks I may put them in next month if they dont spawn.  Then I can get the temp up & see what happens.
    I feed them a mixture of 4 different kinds of flake in the morning.  Then at night I feed a home made mixture with oyster eggs, krill, mysis, egg yolks, brine, & garlic.

14. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I always ran 82 degrees and 13.5 hours of light.  You can get a few more pairs in that 125.  I had 2 pairs per 20gallon high split by eggcrate and light diffuser so they could not see eachother.  The keys are CONSISTANCY (meaning no heat swings and a light timer), quality food (sounds like you have that), and time (the hardest part).  I bought my black ocellaris as a spawning pair and they took over a year to spawn in the new tank.  Enjoy the fish, be happy if they spawn and don't get discouraged if they are not doing it fast enough.  Use this time to practice growing and keeping rotifers.  That is truely the hardest part.

15. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh and if you want the box of crap it is just sitting here... Might put it in the public or RC forum if it doesn't go soon....

16. tgauger

tgauger Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would pick this up for Craig and myself if you are going to be around this evening, I get off work at 5 and it would take me a little bit to get there from waterloo

17. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Box of crap, currently spoken for. The line for just in casers can form here... j/k I am surprised it took this long to give away a box of stuff... Maybe I shouldn't of said it was crap... hmmm

18. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Come on Craig, post some pics of the picassos.

19. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shouldnt it be
    Come on Craig post some pics of the box of crap!!