1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My thoughts for Spring Fest changes

Discussion in '2010' started by xroads, Nov 7, 2010.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hi all
    Here are a few thoughts I had for changes for Spring Fest
    We get the hall on Friday night, so all the vendors will have ample time to set up.
    I would like to start a speaker @ 11:30.  No access of any kind would be allowed to the sales floor during this time.  This would give everyone (including vendors) an opportunity to see the speaker.  Then the speaker would not have to speak over anyone, and sellers wont have to make a choice between their booth & the speaker.  We would only have 1 speaker then.
    The open up the sales floor & rest of show when the speaker is finished. 
    Raffle tickets
    Use chinees raffle tickets.  You can buy anywhere from 5-25 tickets with the same number.  Then you only have to keep track of 1 or 2 numbers instead of 50-100
    Let me hear your thoughts

2. IrishStock

IrishStock Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't able to attend but your ideas sound very dooable. I've been to similar types of events with other hobbies and a suggestion might be to throw in a few short demos at a vendors table. That might not work but maybe you could get an idea of what people would be interested in seeing demo'ed. They could be short 15-20 minutes minimum and something the majority of reefers would be intersted in.

3. xmasia

xmasia Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think its a great idea.

4. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like some good Ideas Craig!

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This sounds like a good idea, but id suggest if you still find your attendance is low for the speaker events to shift your money into other areas of the event to other things.

6. Reefdumb

Reefdumb Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes have the speaker/s first. As a bonus the ones that attend the speakers get first dibs on the coral before you open the floor. As for late comers to get there early for the coral, say you have to atend more then half the speaker time to be admitted to first on the sale floor. I helped set up and thought there was not much room and the noise would not be good. I looked in there once and there was a few chairs open here and there.

I've been to 4 shows now and I am seeing the show as a place to find different coral that the LFS don't or can't get into there store, and a social event to talk to friends within the club. I found out to late that 1 of the speakers was about photagraphy. I was bummed I missed that one and wish I would have known.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Friday night hall rental is a great idea...so is the Chinese raffle tickets (I mentioned this in the other thread - but didn't know their official name)

The Speaker as the first thing is a very intriguing idea...especially since so many people wait in line to get in anyway, now instead of waiting in line to do nothing, they can go into the speaker room and sit in a chair...

My only concern about this is that the people that show up early many not stick around for the raffle...especially if it's 4 hours from the beginning of the show. This could mean lower raffle ticket sales. I know another idea has been that we raffle an item or two every hour on the hour throughout the event.

Did you see the suggestion about having a raffle that only people that attend the speakers get to participate in? They are automatically given one ticket for attending.

--AJ

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 11/07/2010 09:50 PM
    Did you see the suggestion about having a raffle that only people that attend the speakers get to participate in? They are automatically given one ticket for attending.
    --AJ
    That is a good idea.  We could even try to find raffle items that tie in to the speaker or topic.

9. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    having the raffle every couple hours is a great idea, one thing i did notice that it was much busier the last hour to hour and a half of the event, so having a speaker first while it may draw more people to the show earlier, it could also backfire.

heres my thoughts on the entire speaker issue, if people want to see the speakers they will go to them regardless of when you hold it be it before after or durring the show, they will go.

10. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts is having the speaker before the show starts, then have a small raffle at the end of the speaker. Then opening the doors to everyone else. That way no seller or vendor has to miss the speaker. I also think the Chinese raffle tickets are a good idea too. As far as setting up friday night, that is something that we should talk with the vendors and sellers. It really impacts them the most, so if they feel its worth it, and the extra cost isn't excessive, it would be beneficial