1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Pics My tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Crittenden, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:

1. IMG_1095-1.jpg
    Here's a pic of my Biocube 29 first inhabitants. Added these clowns, emerald crab, and a few snails on Wednesday night. Doing great so far!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    looks good. First tank?

3. Yes, to a degree. We had this tank running before but got sick fish which wiped out everything in it. This is a reboot of that tank.

4. Had to pull one of my fish out of the return chamber in the back of my Biocube this morning. Woke up and went to feed, got real scared when I couldn't find one of them, but then started looking through the chambers and found her (I think it's a her, it's the bigger if the 2). I've never quite understood why fish do that. My wife said she thought it was trying to pull a "Nemo" and escape from the tank." I'm sure there's some level of anecdotal truth to that, or at least explore different parts of the tank. Watched her for about 10 mins after putting her back into the main tank area, swimming fine, no cuts or hurt fins, she ate like normal this morning. Thinking I'm pretty lucky she's ok.

Just wanted to share that. Anyone have similar experiences and/or have any ideas on how to stop it from happening again?

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Yup - Frost King Gutter Guard, you can find this at most hardware stores, I know the big 3 box stores usually carry it

Plastic Mesh Gutter Guard | Frost King® Weatherization Products

I use it around a rimless tank recessed into a wall where I can't really use a topper, I have it standing up around the edge and in the overflow box area & everything - no losses since putting it up. Had previously lost 3-4 clowns out of one corner, my guess is they were hanging out in the corner at night up near the surface and something startled them and they launched out.

6. Do you happen to have a pic of the mesh installed for reference?

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I can't find one but it's just a plastic screen, you can cut it to any size and since the holes are wide (1/4" square) you can use it to replace overflow teeth. In fact you can find many build threads where people have taken a standard mega-flow corner overflow and cut out the teeth and then glued in this stuff so that they could increase their overflow capacity.

8. Like bud said they host the corners at night when sleeping. Something startles them and they end up in the overflow or on the floor. You could make a top out of egg crate light diffusers too. That's what I do.

9. Thanks guys

10. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I thought the biocubes had overflow teeth already? If they were able to sneak through the gaps I would also recommend gutter guard. I used it in my sump instead of cutting teeth in the baffles:

[​IMG]

I just cut up some pvc pipe to use as clips. If you're just trying to reduce the gap size in the existing overflow teeth you should be able to use some zip ties to keep it on there.. just be gentle as the gutter guards do break relatively easily.

11. Thanks for your input. I found this guard on Marine Depot and ordered it. I'll update on it's effectiveness once I get it.

12. Looking for suggestions on a QT system. I have been flipping through threads here and on Reef2Reef, watching some stuff on YouTube, and talked with a guy at an LFS. I was thinking about using a 20 long for the tank, adding a piece or 2 of dry rock for hiding and bio filtration, (I know most people use PVC, I just don't like the look of it, and while I want it to function properly I also don't want it to look like garbage.) and I was thinking about using either a canister filter or an HOB and pulling the guts out of it and putting in my own filtration (something like this - thinking about using the one rated for 60-110 to ensure water quality).

A few things I'm thinking about with this:
    1- I know drilling and having a small sump would be ideal but I want to avoid having to do that, buy a stand for it, and plumbing it all up. Thinking that's probably not worth it considering the QT system is only going to be running for small amounts of time.
    2- I could get another AIO system for a QT, but I don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on a system that isn't going to be running a ton. (That being said if you have an AIO that you want to get rid of for cheap, let me know via PM)
    3- Canister filters seem to be going the way of the dinosaur in this hobby. I've never used one personally and they seem simple enough, but it seems people have vendettas against them.
    4- HOB filters really aren't used in saltwater either, and while I wouldn't use it for a main display, I feel like if I'm putting a filter that is rated for 5x the water volume of the QT and I put similar media into it that I use in my Biocube it would work.

I would like to get your thoughts or suggestions so I don't make a dumb investment and have to spend more money in the long run than I need to.

Thanks everyone!

13. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
  14. I'm in DSM and want these to be cycled by Fall Fest. Don't make it out to CR. If you are heading through DSM soon that would be great, otherwise looking pretty much only in DSM. Thanks though @Roman@Roman

15. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    No problem. I'm not going to Des Moines any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone via App

16. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 20 tall if you'd like it. Nothing special, but I'll sell for $10, I'm in Grimes. Everything I've read or watched regarding QT seems pretty straightforward. It's truly up to you and what you're willing to look at. Personally, I'm keeping a sponge in my tank at all times for biological filtration purposes. Will be running that with a HOB filter when the time comes. The only thing about using LR in a QT system is that you may want to consider if you're going to leave it up all the time. If not, generally you're going to want to sanitize it after use in QT setup. Just really something to think about.

17. Thanks Clay! PM sent

18. Update: Here are a couple of pictures of my tank and new QT system.

Getting over a diatom algae bloom. My snails did a great job at keeping it down. 30% water change and its decreased by about 60%. Planning on doing another water change tonight.

IMG_1104.JPG

This is my 20g quarantine tank. Thanks @Reef Medic Clay@Reef Medic Clay! Just got it running yesterday, you can see some of the food I dropped in this morning to get the cycle going. I know you're not supposed to put rocks in your QT but I like the look of them better and I'll pull the rocks out and let them dry for 2 months in between additions. This tank should be ready to go by Fall Fest so we can QT whatever we get there! Whoop!

IMG_1102.JPG

Last shot is of the fish room, which is my laundry room, with the tanks so you can see the positioning. I have an old padded kitchen mat under the QT tank so it's on a stable surface and not just concrete.

IMG_1103.JPG

Just wanted to give you all an update. Thanks to everyone who's been helpful so far! This tank is just as much yours as it is mine!

19. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Is your qt greater than 10 feet away from your DT? If not you run the risk of aerosol transmission from one tank to the other.

20. It looks closer than it actually is. It's probably a little under