1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My tank lost power for what might have been 3 days...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am freaking out, lost nearly all my fish most of the coral snails and inverts, great looking pair of cleaner shrimp.  The temp was down to 73 and all smelled like death.   My G/f and I did a 20 gallon water change (on  90) and cleaned up as best we could and added a sock of carbon.  I do know if this doesn't pull out I will be selling everything as I can not afford to bring it back to where I had it again, I am tapped out when it comes to the fish tank. 
    I really want to try and prevent selling it so.... 
    Any help and suggestions would be great to help things along, there are all kinds of worms floating everywhere and tons of other things.
    Some corals seem to still be alive but hard to tell right now.  Again any help or thoughts would be very helpful.
    I am just sick!!!!  [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seems the hammer coral, frogspawn, torch and a monti caps I have still look OK, is there any chance they will make it?

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    its a hard thing to go through, keep your head up and give things a few days to recover. I would keep doing smaller water changes for the next few days and clean out whatever dead things you can. things can almost always be replaced sometimes people even give you stuff cause your day sucks (hint hint). Let the next few days work things out and keep us posted. J

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

WOW that sucks !!!!!!

Don't give up, Get that skimmer working over time.
    Do more small water changes.
    Get some carbon going in there as soon as possible, if you haven't already.
    Test your water! (test everything you can) To see whats out of balance.

You may not be in to bad of shape!!! take the proper measures to ensure it cant happen again. (maybe put you return pump on a separate circuit)
    Sorry about your loses!!

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I do have carbon going...  and I will do some 5 gallon water changes over the next several days.

Not totally sure what caused the GFI to trip, I had it trip sometime ago with my Corallife timer/power strip kicked on but it was no big deal since I was home and right there when it happened, didn't think much of it and it never happened again until a 4 day vacation.

6. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    you should never hook anything more than pumps to a gfci, it takes so little to trip one you could have a heater or anything else for than matter go out and you'd never notice. I would move everything back to a direct power source asap

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't take much to change your gfci to a standard outlet.

8. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By B-Rad on 10/06/2008 07:04 PM
    It doesn't take much to change your gfci to a standard outlet.
    I can change it, nothing to it....  in fact I changed it from a standard outlet to a GFCI per some others suggestions on another forum.

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So sorry to hear of your problems gb. I know it's a constant worry to leave for any length of time. B-Rad gave you the run down of what you should do now. I would think that if those corals made it this far, they will pull through.

I'd be glad to donate something to help you get back on your feet! Stop by and see me at the Fall Fest, I'm going to have a booth.

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about your tank....

Probably what's the worst right now in your tank is the ammonia, so do water changes DAILY until it can come down and the beneficial bacteria can catch up and help knock the levels down. Move anything that's still alive into temporary tanks/tubs if the ammonia reading is high. Run your skimmer very wet.....

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good luck! You would be surprised at what some corals and fish can live through. Don't lose all hope yet.

Lee

12. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with most everyone except for test the water. There is no point. You should be doing large enough and frequent enough water changes to pull all parameters back in line. The last thing you want to do is use any additives in the tank unless you have Pure or Amquel laying around to lock up that loose ammonia. I personally would keep doing what you are doing and add an airline to the tank. A little extra dissolved oxygen in the solution never hurts. You will also want to run phosphate remover in the near future. Phosphate is leached by many dying organisms and is a huge source of hair algae.

13. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the suggestions... here is whats left 3 chromis one clown (the ones that I really didn't care about) - Tang, clown, goby and coral beauty all DOA sixline is missing. Plenty of coral lost and plenty of snails - the one that really get me are the cleaner shrimp - I loved those guys! Peppermint shrimp seem to be gone, emerald crabs are DOA.
    Lost the blue Milli I JUST got from Jerry, all the cap I JUST got from him as well - Lost a VERY nice red/orange cap I got from someone in Grimes can't remember who but it was a beautiful piece and was one of the best looking things in my thank + another frag I got form him that was just starting to take off - gone!  Lost the Xenia (oh well), can''t find my LTA. I think all my Zooa's are gone, blue, orange, green. Toadstool not looking very good but might pull out. My green with purple rim cap looks OK and I sure hope it makes it! And again frogspawn, torch and hammer seem to be OK also have a green candy cane that looks fair and a green center candy cane that looks fair.
    Might not seem like much but to me it was alot, lots of work over the past year accumulating these things and never mind the time it takes them to grow, just bought a new light and things were really starting to look the way I had wanted the light fixture was a BIG help.
    Another Q, is my sand and rock now dead or are there still plenty of living things in there to take back off??

14. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd say the most resistant things in your tank live in your rocks and sand. I wouldn't worry about them! Bacteria are pretty tolerant of changes.

So, not to be a dick or anything, but why didn't you ask someone to watch your tank while you were gone? It's like having a really expensive cat or dog. I only have fish in my tank now and I still ask the neighbors to poke in and see if everything is ok when I leave for a couple days. They were too expensive and I'd feel terrible if I knew any of them died because I was negligent.

15. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i lost power a few years ago due to a ice storm, and lost most of the fish and some corals. i did what you are doing, the water changes, i also added a second skimmer to help. my rock was okay and the corals and fish that made it throw the power outage was okay after time. be patient, keep doing what you are doing and you will make it throw this.

16. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good question, I figured it would come up... Its not like I just got up and left, I did some research and found many people do the same with no problems. Also my G/F has had fish only saltwater tanks in the past and never had a problem leaving them, she has two 'exotic' birds making sure they have what they need and leaves them with no problems. anyway.... I bought and auto feeder, tested it prior to leaving making sure the proper amount of food was distributed, this is the only thing that worked while I was gone. I did a water change the day before then tested the water making sure all was in line looked great. After 4 days without adding water I knew where my salinity would be, I had been keeping it a little high but a couple months prior to vacation it was suggested that I lower it, so I did over a month or so leaving it where others suggested it should be all the time leaving room for the evaporation of water. I kept a close eye on my heater making sure the temp stayed very constant prior to leaving. I felt that I did all that I need to do to prep the tank for a 4 day away period and felt very confident all my timers are quality heavy duty outdoor timers (other than the coralife power strip, I was using temporarily) all have worked perfectly and are protected from water that might drip and or run down on them, all spare plugs are sealed from saltwater to prevent corrosion and possible short (tripping a breaker or GFCI or maybe even a fire). The timers the feeder and so on were purchased so I could leave for a couple days no problem just didn't plan on this exact type of failure.
    I guess as a newb you learn from your mistakes and thats what happened here, next time I leave I will do my best to make sure someone peaks in from time to time but keeping in mind that's not always possible in my situation.
    Thanks for the help! Hope that explains it!

17. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sorry, I know eventhough I didn't want to sound like an ***, it probably still sounded that way.  Just get someone to watch it next time :)  I'm sure if you're desperate someone on the forum would be more than happy to stop by and make sure it's all pumping and heating!

18. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Getting someone to watch will help immensely, but so many times they won't know what to do or things will happen just too fast. This is a hobby where there are so many things that can go wrong, many of which are not noticeable to the untrained eye. So don't beat yourself up too much.
    I just re-read your thread and saw that Ammonia was mentioned but hadn't seen you post any tests. I would be testing this daily and possibly get some Cycle or Stress Zyme to help your bacteria cultures if it is very high. If it is extremely I would do a much larger water change, but that is my opinion. Remember the rules of dilution when you do water changes. If your Ammonia is at 10 and you do a 50% water change with fresh RO/DI your ammonia will be at 5. Without the addition of new ammonia if you do another 50% water change your ammonia will be at 2.5. Undoubtedly your system will still be adding ammonia until the bacteria can catch up so if something really looks like it won't make it, get it out of there. You could always move some so-so inhabitants to a hospital tank so they won't pollute the main tank if they don't make it.
    Other than that keep up with water changes daily or every other day. Do not add any fish until your tank has re-cycled which can be up to 8 weeks. You said you added a carbon sock, is this just sitting in the tank or in a HOB filter? You will want slow water flow going through the carbon so I would recommend getting the carbon in a filter if it isn't already.
    Basically keep a close eye on ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate so you know where the cycle is.

19. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    need some more help... I have tons of brown algae going on all of the sudden, what can I do to minimize this?

20. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    what type of algae? Is it loose or does it seem to bind to the rockwork. Either way it could be several things. You've had alot of die off which means your water is going to re balance over the next few weeks. I would say an increase in flow might help other than that your usual water changes until it works itself out.