1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My snail experiment.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vikubz, Aug 23, 2009.

1. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have snails laying eggs in my 75g tank off and on, and I decided to try something. I used a turkey baster to slurp up what I could of them and transferred them to the fuge on my 29 gallon. It is free of predators, not even hermit crabs, so I'll be curious to see if any make it. I have had cerith spawn successfully in the 29 before, so maybe I can get something started in the fuge.
    On a side note, I have enough limpets in my other sump that I might start collecting them when they get a little bigger. They really seem to like it in there.
    Mark

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where are your snails laying eggs? Mine lay tons on the glass, but I couldn't remove them without scraping them off. Out of the dozens produced monthly I would say 5-10% have survived, which is a good enough number for me, else I would quickly be overpupulated with snails.

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    So Mark, are your limpets reproducing too? I'd love to buy some from you if you're selling! I'm going to be ordering snails/limpets sometime soon unless someone in the area has some for sale...

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yes, my sump is crawling with limpets. They also like to live in my skimmer. They are not very big yet. The biggest are maybe 1/4 inch.

5. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just let me know when you are ready for harvest! I can try to have some coral frags ready to swap...

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just let me know when they are ready to harvest! I can try to have some corals ready to swap...