1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My rock work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B-Rad, Dec 18, 2008.

1. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well its getting close.
    Here are some pics of my false sand bed and rock work.
    I still have some small things to do to my RO unit before I can put water in.
    [​IMG]
    my false sand bed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the pipe works
    [​IMG]
    my Diy skimmer
    [​IMG]
    Diy cal reactor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My daughters cat fish, lol
    [​IMG]
    More pics to come.

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow...I'm sure that all of your planning and hard work will pay off when you get it all filled up and stocked. Looks like a fun project!

--AJ

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if anyone has told you this or not, but you don't need an entire saltwater system in order to keep a cat. They do fine just walking around the house...

:)

Rocks look nice BTW.

-JB

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How did you do your false sand bed? I like the looks and the idea of not having sand piles from flow...

5. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking freakin' sweet. Your rock work looks like monsters.

6. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I used a thin sheet of Plexiglas. I trimmed it to fit around the overflows and cut it in half to make it easier to get it in the tank.
    I used a spray epoxy adhesive and sprayed the Plexiglas, I then used dry sand and just spread it over the sheet. Shake the access off and repeat the proses until you get look you want.
    You cant see it in the pics but, I made some small waves in the sand by repeating it in certain areas many times.
    Let it dry for a few days then set it in your tank.
    ya no sand piles and it should be very easy to clean the bottom of the tank [​IMG]
    I will use a deep sand bed in my sump, that can be removed and changed easily.
    I also have a 25g feed tank that will be full of live rock to help with filtration.

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The only problem that I can think of is that the "faux-sand bed" might start looking a bit odd when/if coraline starts growing on it.

It will probably look better than a normal bare bottom in any case.

-JB

8. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice rockwork. I noticed you have piping running through it, are you hooking this up to some powerheads??

9. Monkey Man Zero

Monkey Man Zero Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would take the cat out before adding water.

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 12/19/2008 09:50 AM
    Nice rockwork. I noticed you have piping running through it, are you hooking this up to some powerheads?? Thanks for the comps.
    No, I used PVC just to support the rock work, and figured I would use some tees as I put it together to insert frag plugs.[​IMG]

11. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Monkey Man Zero on 12/19/2008 11:44 AM
    I would take the cat out before adding water.
    LOL, He puts his hole head under the faucet to get a drink, but 120g might be more then he can handle.

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure the spray adhesive will be safe in a reef tank? Also, why cover the sump; for noise reduction? Pretty impressive system!

13. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 12/19/2008 08:47 PM
    Are you sure the spray adhesive will be safe in a reef tank? Also, why cover the sump; for noise reduction? Pretty impressive system! Thanks phishcrazee,
    I've used it before with no problems, I use the epoxy (not the 3M) brand. You must give it plenty of cure time! I've also used a 2part epoxy that you brush on, It has better adhesion But it makes a bigger mess. 
    I have a 2yr old and 2 cats that love to get into every thing!!!!! So I put the lids on the sump and the live rock tub to keep the cats and kids out. Plus helps to cut back on the evaporation.

14. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking great. As a fellow DIY'er I must say great job on the things you have done. I can not wait until you get it stocked.