1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My New 90 Gallon Salt Tank Pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuisReyes, Sep 11, 2009.

1. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here Is My New 90 Gallon Setup I Will Be Setting Up As Saltwater Sarting To Get It Going Today. Built This Stand In About A Week. This Is The First Stand I Have Ever Built So Let Me Know What You Think... I Will Post More Pictures When Get Tank Full And Throughout The Cycling Process And When I Start Adding Stuff.. So Here We Go Here Are The Pictures Of My DIY Stand And Canopy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Luis

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice looking stand, im working on one too. just got one question. how are you going to reach the bottom of your tank and clean it? i'm running into that issue when trying to design a canopy for mine.my stand is about 36" tall and the tank is 2ft tall so gunna be difficult to start with haha.

3. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Either can clean it through the doors up front or the top of the canopy has a large door as well. I have long arms so that helps lol. Otherwise worse comes to worse that should work but I would just take canopy of. Well have the wife help cause oak is heavy. Any other questions let me know be glad to help.

4. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks really nice, I like that stand! One thing I would think long and hard about is that under gravel filter, they were the bomb back in the day but they lead into problems down the road!!
    You get a lot of nutrients (fish poop, uneaten food and stuff) that will settle under it and produce high nitrates, and lots of algae problems down the road.
    Just something to think about!

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ahh okie doke :) stand does look good, mine wont look nearly as well :) what lighting are you planning on it?

6. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Currently on order I have a 48" Power Compact Metal Halide Reef Aquarium Light 760W Coming but right now until it comes just going to be running JBJ Formosa SS 36" Power Compacts 2 of them staggard.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks great man, but PLEEEEASE don't tell me your gonna run that under gravel filter!

Oh and PUT ON A SHIRT!

8. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Great looking stand and conopy. Now you can build one for my tank lol. Ialso agree i wouldnt use the undergravel filter either.
    Brian

9. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That is why we have these forums as I have only had one salt tank set up before so I appreciate everyones help and sounds like everyones saying the same so dont think I will be using the undergravel. I appreciate the help guys thanks so much....
    You were suppose to look at the tank not the reflection of me lol...

10. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Hey Luis Welcome to girs, how have you been?

casey

11. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not too bad Casey just getting back in the grove of things and spending alot of my time getting this tank up and going. How have you been bud been awhile? Thanks for the welcome

12. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice looking stand. welcome to the forums and the Waterloo area. We are having a grill out and frag demo next Saturday, it would be a great way to meet some of the other area members. checkout the Waterloo area forum

13. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your stand looks great! I recently built one for my 120, fun little build. You get far better quality at a fraction of the cost when building your own stand.

14. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot guys for all the great comments. I will tell you one thing I never imagined it would come out this nice being the first one we have ever built. And yes i totally agree I built this stand for just a bit more then a regular stand would have costed me anywhere and I added a canopy!! Again thanks guys for all the great comments..

15. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great looking start! I agree w everyone so far. I would place eggcreat on the very bottom and cover with sand for added resistance in the bottom for avalanche protection! Or just run a barebottom setup! Either way great start, good having ya, and good thinking posting this thread! Dave

16. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks bud... yep I took out the undergravel and I appreciate everyones help on that makes easier to do now then later. I have about a 3-4 inches of bottom substrate so should be good if a avalance occurs lol but should be good

17. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that stand looks great. Nice work! Seeing you in the reflection reminds me of the pic that some guy posted on eBay...he was selling a teapot and he snapped a pic of the pot...naked. Yeah, I bet if you did a Google search, you would be able to find the pic. Pretty funny...

--AJ

18. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol yeah that would be pretty embarrassing haha dont think that would be me lol

19. Jaked

Jaked

Ratings:
    +15 / 1 / -0
    Looks GREAT Luis! You just going to run the one tank, or gettin back in big?

20. LuisReyes

LuisReyes Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just this one and the wife has a bow salt setup but you know how that goes now that the landlord is okay that i pay more in rent to have the one tank so you know how that goes now lol