1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My Latest fishroom project....(pic intense!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by einsteins, Feb 29, 2008.

1. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All
    well I decided that to make my RO/DI more efficient I wanted to add a fresh water holding tank and have gravity feed my kalwasser top off system.
    Before this project I had a control panel that directed top off water to either the Kalk reactor or just directly to the sump.
    Here is what the control panel looked like...
    [​IMG]
    Since I wanted to add a fresh water holding tank and I wanted to keep the automationI figured some changed to the water panel were needed.
    Once I got started I decided to just build a whole new water control panel and to add an auto top off system for the freshwater holding tank.
    So here is what I have now.....I am quite pleased with the outcome.
    Here you can see the holding tank and the new control panal
    [​IMG]
    Here is just the new panel....Right side distributes water from the RO/DI between 3 things.
    1) Freshwater holding tank
    2) Saltwater Mixing Tank
    3) general use spicket to draw water from the system for cleaning equipment etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the right side of the panel that distributes the water 3 ways
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the left side that controls whether the water goes to Kalk reactor or straight to the sump.
    [​IMG]
    The Reef fanatic controller that controls the filling of the storage tank
    it now makes about 5 gallons of water at a time intead of cycling on and off with short bursts which burns DI resin much quicker.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the storage tank
    It has High and Low float sensors along with a float valve and a 3/8" overflow for redundancy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have to say that I am very pleased on how it is working so far...
    Thanks for looking!!
    eins

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Looks good Bill the thing that scares me is the suction cups holding those float switches, what happens when they fail? I have a resivor for freshwater as well but i have a float valve in mine. I have used float valves for top off in the past with very little problems, although i know some people say they can't be trusted. I just think it's funny because they are in every toilet and in ice makers as well and how often do they fail??? I guess if they were used in saltwater salt creep and coralline could affect them but in a freshwater application i think they would be just fine.

Another question i have is why couldn't you just use your ACIII to regulate the amount of water instead of the Reef Fanatic? For instance i have my solenoid plugged into an X10 and have it programmed so the solenoid is only in the "on" posistion from 1700 to 2100 daily.

Cool looking setup for sure though, i was just thinking about re-arranging a few things in my system but decided to just go with what works.

3. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very nice, i love automation. what kind of solenoid are you using?

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Man, that's way too complex for me to even understand. One thing I noticed was that the solenoid on the top left seems kinda pointless since you have 2 down below it.

5. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Guys.

Lee the selenoid on the top left turns the flow from the storage tank on and off according to sump level. The 2 below it are controlled by the AC3 so that if the pH is 8.4 or below it sends the water throough the kalk reactor and if the pH is above 8.4 it sends the fresh water directly to the sump.

Jeremy...I dont like the suction cups and I am working on a way not to use them...but it was like 2:30am when I got to the part to set up the tank and so I did the suction cups to get by for a day or so...
    My sump has a top off system of its own so I dont need to use the AC3...the top off in the sump turns on the top right selenoid as the sump needs water that way I dont have to guess how long to run water to sump to match the evaporation amount.

Wayne1...I got the selenoids from McMaster Carr they are part # 7877K6 they are AC powered along with the indicator lights.

eins

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That is awesome Bill! I want to visit.
    I looked high and low for a solenoid like those bill for a reasonable price. I even looked McMaster and missed those somehow. I ended up getting some 1/2" monsters from EBay that aren't super reliable. I had to put valves on them to get a consistent volume to flow through them.

7. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Joel

C'mon over and check it out...I would be happy to help you out if I can...
    These solenoids are great I have been running the ones on my old panel for a couple of years now without incident.

eins

8. einsteins

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well going on 3rd day and no issues yet......everything is working as planned.

water is getting down toward the bottom float switch so it will be nice to see the tank refill without issue......

eins