1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My first frag!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philby, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wayne was nice enough to give me a piece of his monti cap that broke of his large colony (that he got from JJ)...so it's made it's way to my tank!

It took awhile, but I finally got the rubble the frag was attached to super glued to the LR - I'll definitely watch somebody do that before I try it again.

Hopefully this does well in my tank and I can start adding more!

[​IMG]

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If that's the first time for gluing down a frag, you did a good job! The green caps are very hardy so it should do very well in your tank.

3. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Sone - I'm actually surprised the rubble stayed in place because of the way super glue acts when you try to apply it underwater but it finally stuck and hopefully it stays....and hopefully the cap does well...I'm getting antsy to go coral shopping!

4. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 01/05/2008 6:36 PM
    I'm actually surprised the rubble stayed in place because of the way super glue acts when you try to apply it underwater but it finally stuck and hopefully it stays....
    Did I read that right?  You put the superglue bottle in the tank to glue the frag down?

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's why I said I needed to watch someone do it next time!! I knew I was probably doing it incorrectly, but I couldn't think of any other way to do it, and figured it was better to get it into place ASAP and figure out what I was doing wrong later.
    I didn't want to pull the LR out of the tank (probably could have this time, but I wouldn't want to once I have a bunch of frags or if it was a base piece) and I couldn't get it to stick just glueing the piece of rubble out of the water and trying to attach it to the LR...
    Was I just not using enough glue on the rubble? or is there some other trick I don't know about (and couldn't find in the 10 mins I surfed the web/RC... )

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For a cap, I would normally pull the cap out of water and glue the edge of the cap where I know it will come in contact with the rock. Hold the cap in place for about 20 seconds and you should be golden. It's a little more tricky with large frags or colonies but for a small piece, it should hold easily after 15-20 seconds.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well that's kinda how I did it, but I glued the cap to a piece of rubble first - and then I put glue on the piece of rubble where I wanted it to stick to my LR in the tank - didn't hold...

8. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are doing it that way, I would've glued the rubble to the rock and then attach the cap to the rubble. You could also try putty next time. Sometimes putty will help hold your rubble in place.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or, since caps grow like mad, you could have just jammed it into a crevice in the rock and it would have adhered on its own.

10. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I use a two part underwater epoxy for attaching rubble to my live rock. It is like putty and works well.