1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My Denitrator Test- 0 Nitrates! but..... dKH +16

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iowareef, Mar 20, 2008.

1. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I have done it.  No matter how many water changes I had done in the past I could not get nitrates below 20.  Now after less than a month and no water changes at all.  My nitrates have hit 0.
    This is way cool.  It adds calcium too. 
    The negative Result - My dKh is over 16.  I was having problems with one of my soft tree corals is is looking worse every day.  This must be why.
    I am running the slow RO to fill the makeup water tank.  That water has a dKh of

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What other options did you try using before you went to the denitrator?

3. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Off hand I don't remember everything I tried to cut back nitrates but here are a few:
    I crammed in live rock in the tank and some in the refugium/sump
    I put in a lot of macro algae in the sump and move some up to the tank as the tangs eat it
    I went through a ton of Reef Crystals doing water changes (that can really add up)
    I added a protien skimmer (it is not that great but it was free and it does work)
    I cut feeding back to the point that the fish jump out of the water to get food
    I added more Garf Grunge
    I didn't yet but wanted to get something that stirs up the sand more.  Like a star or clams.  Wouldn't that help?  Guess it doesn't matter now that there are no more nitrates.
    I met a guy that runs a reef store while I was in Miami.  He has not done water changes in 6 years.  All his stuff looks good.  His method was feed the fish individually only little bits.  Use a wet dry filter.  And then top off.  I think his tanks looked great. Oh yah, he also uses really good skimmers.
    Josh

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yah, he also uses really good skimmers.
    That'd be the key right there.  I'd say that if you were to upgrade your skimmer or improve the one you've got you'd probably have better luck.
    Something that stirs the sand won't help with nitrates as it would aerate the sand.  You want a non-aerobic sandbed for nitrate reduction. 
    I never saw any downside to using sugar to bring nitrates down back when I had a problem with them (before I built a bigger skimmer).  You might read up on that option and see if you want to give it a go as well.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only advice I pass on to you is advice that was given to me when I needed it. 
    Make your changes slowly.  Don't try and fix your alk problem all at once.  You will have to try and get it to where it needs to be over many days.  I personally would think that water changes would be the way to go.

6. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That seems to be good advice. I'll do a 15% water change as soon as I can get the water made up. Then see how it reacts. Maybe another 15% in a few more days.

7. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully someone can chime in that is currently running a de-nitrator. I just bought one and havent picked it up yet, Im trying to get all the pros and cons of it.

8. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It seems I still have a sulphur smell being emitted. Wish I can get that fixed. There will be a point that I have to decide if it is worth the smell.

9. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what kind of de-nitrator unit do you have?

10. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got it from ebay here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denitrator-Calcium-Reactor-and-Phosphate_W0QQitemZ150224455735QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

11. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I spoke with James the man who built my Denitrator.  He said mine and one other has had this problem of giving off the sulpher smell.  He is sending me out new Sulpher media.  He is sure that it must be that I had it sitting for a week with water when I first got it with out it running.  I was traveling and was not at home to monitor it.  He said the other had it sitting for a while too.   He said he will send me new media for free.  The man is very good at customer service. This is the third thing he is shipping for free after my first initial purchase.

12. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like the idea of building a bigger skimmer.  I'll look at your posts and see if you have put out info. on it.  If it is not out there or if you have time could you share your plans and expierences with your DIY skimmer?

Thanks,

Josh

13. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 03/20/2008 8:59 AM
    That'd be the key right there.  I'd say that if you were to upgrade your skimmer or improve the one you've got you'd probably have better luck.
    I never saw any downside to using sugar to bring nitrates down back when I had a problem with them (before I built a bigger skimmer).  You might read up on that option and see if you want to give it a go as well.
    Sorry,
    I meant to Quote this first.  Please share your material list (where you bought it), and plans.  It might be out here already I'll check.
    Thanks again.
    Josh

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Link
    Build thread for jtesdall and I

15. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan,

That is my kind of DIY work. I love it. I have some catching up to do (mesh modded??? must do something to get more bubbles) but I think I get it all in general.

Are you in Cedar Rapids or vacinity? I'd love to see it.

I thought of building something similar till I got the seaclone 150 for free. Now after seeing what you have done I think I better reconsider. I may need to wait though. My seaclone fits (baerly) under my stand. I would need to put something like you are making in a sump off to one side.

You said you would do it over with two different pumps. Would that still be gen-x pumps? What size? Using 2 would cut down on the foot print.

What is your total demensions?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  17. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Midwest Aquatics DeNitrator and love it! When I got the sulpher smell I just tuned up the output. Works very well!