1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My Bryopsis battle with Magnesium - pics and log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Set up a 72g reef on March 5th, using my old rock/sand along with 50 pounds of fresh South Down and 50 pounds of live rock from a local 1,000 gallon/ten year old system that was torn down. Can't say that rock's the culprit...but I would say it's likely.
    I had noticed some light green film on the glass by the 10th or 12th, didn't think much of it - figured an initial algae bloom (I did have diatoms from the 7th-9th).
    On the 13th, yeah, Friday the 13th [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Feathery" appearance is what condemns the algae.
    Researched and found that one of the most successful solutions is raising the Magnesuim level to 1,550-1,600 to stop the outbreak.
    If this doesn't work, Anthony Calfo suggests raising PH and heavily skimming.
    So I went out and found an Elos MG test kit
    [​IMG]
    And some Tech M Magnesium
    [​IMG]

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I tested the Mg twice, and both times it read 1,400 which isn't bad as I won't need to raise it that much.
    Found this handy calcium/alk/mg calculator telling me I needed 486.7 ml (16.4 oz) to get the level, of course the Tech M is 473ml (16 oz).
    Dumped half the bottle in @ 7:30 pm and will test later tonight for curiousity but will rely on the results tomorrow morning before going further.
    Pics from when I dosed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious to see what happens - irritating as I've kept reefs for 6 years and have never had anything like this that makes people tear their tanks down!
    I figure the system is new enough, and I don't have any prized corals that can't be replaced locally if something does go awry.
    We'll see!
    Thanks!

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good luck Eric. Keep us posted on your progress!

--AJ

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very interesting, i hope this helps.

6. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It works with tech M. I have done it with great success.

7. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a whole bunch of freshly mixed magnesium if you need a little Eric. It's from the bulk reef supply 2part kit.

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By brtfreud on 03/17/2009 06:31 AM
    It works with tech M. I have done it with great success.
    Hope it works for me!
    Someone on RC commented that the rumor is that it isn't actually the Mg increase that stops the bryopsis but more of an impurity in Tech M, which might explain why people have success with Tech M but not with other magnesium products.
    I wouldn't typically purchase a Kent product over others, but with the results of Tech M versus other Mg products that didn't work, I didn't want to chance it!
    brtfreud-
    How high did you take the levels and how long did you keep it there?
    How long before you saw results?
    When was this and did it ever come back?
    Thanks!

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 03/17/2009 07:11 AM
    I have a whole bunch of freshly mixed magnesium if you need a little Eric. It's from the bulk reef supply 2part kit.
    Thanks for the offer!
    Let me know if you need anything when you dose your tank for planaria as I'm about 1 minute from Hung (isn't everybody in N. Liberty??).
    -E

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live right by the water tower behind Hung's. I just made a huge bulk reef supply order last night. I figure 6lbs of carbon should do the trick. The outbreak isn't that bad yet, but I really need to get to it this weekend. I've been sucking those bastards out every night with a 1/4" hose /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif
    Thinking about taking friday off to go up to tractor supply for the drugs and start preparing water for my 50% change over.

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I live north of Penn in a new development, due north of the new Mercy Care/Education Station/etc. and backed up against a gravel road.

Never had flat worms, but I remember when Hung had them in his Coralville store - what a mess!

Are you shopping Paul's and Orscheln's in Iowa City?  Sometimes it's nice to live in a farm community - try finding pig de-wormer in NYC! [​IMG]

12. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Here's my problem this morning-
    As mentioned, I measured 1,400 twice last night @ 7:30 before dosing 1/2 bottle.
    For s&g I measured again @ 11:30 last night and got 1,450 - so I added the rest of the bottle.
    I just measured again @ 11:30 today, 16 hours since the first dose and 12 hours since the second.
    My measurement was 1,450 the first time and 1,400 the second. [​IMG]
    As for the tank, I'll get some pics later.
    Bryopsis looks the same, but I've noticed that I no longer have a green film on the glass like I did up 'till yesterday - would need to clean it several times a day before.
    Livestock looks fine - corals, fish, crabs and snails.
    What do I do now?
    Anybody have a Mg test kit locally?

13. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a sailfert MG kit if you want to bring some water over tonight. I live off of Kansas on Alydar Dr.

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By h2so4hurts on 03/17/2009 10:53 AM
    I have a sailfert MG kit if you want to bring some water over tonight. I live off of Kansas on Alydar Dr.
    That would be awesome!!
    I'll PM you my info - thanks again!
    -Eric

15. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Just thought of something - I run carbon 24/7. Will this affect Mg levels? Is the carbon pulling it until it's (carbon) saturated?

16. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Orscheln's has a different drug, and the lady at Paul's said, "I'm sure we have some." But didn't want to go check. Haha, I guess I'll have to stop by there later.
    Tractor supply in Cedar Rapids has both the injectable and the powder.  Just hoping to save a trip up there.

17. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carbon is for organics, not divalent cations /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif If that were the case you'd be sucking Ca out too!

18. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i would try and get a hold of research department i know on the newer salifert test kits it says if your calcium and strontium together equal 500ppm or more you wont get an accurate reading

19. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Should be ok since strontium is usually 40 times lower than Calcium in a reef system. If he's running 420-440 Ca, he should have about 10 ppm strontium.

20. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Update:

Algae has changed color from a darker to lighter green.  Snails/clowns wouldn't touch it before, now they're snacking on it and where it's disappeared it hasn't really returned.
    I was needing to clean my glass several times a day from the green algae film, but that's diminished significantly and I only need to do it every other day.
    I cleaned a powerhead last night, left the others alone, as I want to see if I get any re-growth on it.
    Still have no idea what my Mg levels are (need to make time to see Brian for a different test kit).
    Have lost coloration in some of my corals - I'll post another thread on that with pics.
    -Eric