1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My 72 Bow Front Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adampottebaum, Jul 31, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I finally borrowed my parents half way decent camera to take some pics! Sorry about the quality, I'm no expert.
    FTS:
    [​IMG]
    Closer:
    [​IMG]
    Tried one with flash:
    [​IMG]
    Neon Cleaner Goby:
    [​IMG]
    My nanny
    [​IMG]
    Ricordeas(Blue, Green, and 2 Oranges):
    [​IMG]
    Favia and Lobo Brain
    [​IMG]
    Hyacinth Birdsnest
    [​IMG]
    Bubble Coral
    [​IMG]
    Green Open Brain and Acans
    [​IMG]
    Purple and Green Monti Caps:
    [​IMG]
    Another Acan
    [​IMG]
    Sun Coral and Blue Tang
    [​IMG]
    Blasto Merletti:
    [​IMG]
    Crocea Clam:
    [​IMG]
    Sump(yes, the collection cup overflow tube is normally in that milk jug, I didn't feel like taking another pic after I noticed it):
    Also, notice it's a SKIM milk jug...
    [​IMG]
    Mangroves:
    [​IMG]

2. cbort

cbort Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    looks really great! Tank will look great once those corals grow out!

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice lookin' tank! I'm an LPS fan and you have some nice LPS there...

I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard bad things about submerged bio-balls (and mixed things about suspended bio-balls) so you may want to keep a close eye on how they impact your nitrate levels. This is not from personal experience, just from what others have told me.

--AJ

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    looks nice
    1 question though what happens if you lose power or your return pum quits? your sump looks really full will it overflow?

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Looks great!
    How'd you get that clown to stay so stationary while you were taking pics?
    [​IMG]
    -Eric

6. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    AJ: I've never had any problem with nitrates. I've had the bio balls in the sump since I set it up, my nitrates are never over 5 or so.

Ninja: The first thing I did when I set up the sump was turn the pumps on and then shut everything off. I have my return basically above my water line so the only water that comes back down to the sump is from the overflow box. I shut it off everyonce and a while and it only fills it about half that level in the final chamber. I still have about an inch or so, I just like having plenty of room for error. I don't know if you can see it well but I have a float valve that's plumbed to my ro/di tank that keeps the water level constant.

Eric: Yea that clown just stays there and holds the algae sheets for my other fish til it's gone(what a nice guy). I was surprised my other two (real) clowns weren't pestering me the whole time I was takin pics. My blue tang was the only one trying to get in the way of my closeups...

Thanks for the input!

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Good to see the sun coral polyps extended with the lights on... very nice.

8. adampottebaum

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I took that pic especially for you. I took some good advice (I think it was from Dan) to feed them cyclop-eeze. They are getting pretty big now and are open about 50% of the time and every time I feed(which is quite often, I definitely overfeed my fish/corals). Hopefully I can get them to encrust the whole rock in due time...