1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

My "non-scientific" results injecting Aptasia w/Vinegar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Appears to be very successful if a direct hit into the specimen...instead of retracting, they seem to die on the spot & hang out of the rocks as well as turn a greyish color.  Did this earlier today and all of the subjects appear to be turning into slime.
    Just used standard white vinegar and a needle/syringe.  Didn't use much vinegar.
    Hmm.  Apparently kalk really doesn't work that well...great for controlling corals though!
    -Eric

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just be really careful using vinegar, it can cause a bacteria bloom and really cause problems with your tank!

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I once had a major Kalk overdose and ended up dumping about 3 cups of vinegar into my system to bring the PH down. I don't remember any major bacterial bloom after wards. Apparently vinegar is a carbon source so I guess it would be possible but I wouldn't think a few syringes full would affect much of anything unless it was in a really small tank.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ditto...but I can see where Adam is coming from.  It's always good to use as little as possible when adding something to your tank.  Maybe the dying aiptasia would do more than the vinegar itself.  I've heard of people dosing their tank to kill off flatworms and have their tank crash, not due to the flatworm meds, but due to the biological impact of all of the decomposing flatworms in the water triggering a chain reaction.'
    And for the record, doesn't sound like that was the case here...that's more a general word of caution.
    --AJ

5. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Vinegar is often used to help saturate kalk solutions but it can cause a bacterial bloom as Adam stated, I would be careful when using it in the tank as too much could cause problems depending on the persons tank/filtration. If you notice a white film on glass that would be the point where you may want to stop adding any additional product and make sure your skimmer is working properly. Any carbon source that's continually overdosed whether it's vinegar, vodka, sugar can kill coral overnight and cause bacterial infections in fish.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The other thing that you need to consider when killing Aiptasia is that when they are "attacked" they release their larva (or whatever they are called) so while the Aiptasia in question may be killed, the act of killing it only results in many more Aiptasia a week or two later.

This is on of the reasons that I'm a big fan of the Aiptasia-X product. When used properly the Aiptasia think it's food and they ingest it and clog themselves up before the larva can be released. Ultimately though, the only true way to control aiptasia is with a good predator. Peppermint shrimp (of the proper variety) are probably the best all around solution.

-JB

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 11/02/2009 09:46 AM
    The other thing that you need to consider when killing Aiptasia is that when they are "attacked" they release their larva (or whatever they are called) so while the Aiptasia in question may be killed, the act of killing it only results in many more Aiptasia a week or two later.
    This is on of the reasons that I'm a big fan of the Aiptasia-X product. When used properly the Aiptasia think it's food and they ingest it and clog themselves up before the larva can be released. Ultimately though, the only true way to control aiptasia is with a good predator. Peppermint shrimp (of the proper variety) are probably the best all around solution.
    -JB
    Sounds like you've had a positive experience with Aptasia-X?  I've read the theory of aptasia releasing spores when threatened & am considering the product because of its ability to effectively glue their mouth shut after ingesting.
    -Eric

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yep, it does a great job if you use it as directed. But like any other product, you can only use it to kill the ones you can see/reach. That's why I prefer predation.

-JB

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 11/02/2009 07:50 AM
    Maybe the dying aiptasia would do more than the vinegar itself.  I've heard of people dosing their tank to kill off flatworms and have their tank crash, not due to the flatworm meds, but due to the biological impact of all of the decomposing flatworms in the water triggering a chain reaction.'
    --AJ
    I've been considering a scenario similar to this as a possible cause for my algae blooms.
    As you know, we both have the dark green resiliant turf type algae from our LR purchase in February - and as I was getting rid of it earlier in the summer I was kalking quite heavily.  Aside from the possible imbalances caused by the kalk, my theory is that I also killed life on the rocks causing excess nutrients for the algae.  My bristleworm population seems to have been drastically reduced and my assumption is from a combination of the kalking and the lack of food in the tank the rocks came from.
    -Eric

10. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Eric on 11/02/2009 01:25 PM

Posted By AJ on 11/02/2009 07:50 AM
    Maybe the dying aiptasia would do more than the vinegar itself.  I've heard of people dosing their tank to kill off flatworms and have their tank crash, not due to the flatworm meds, but due to the biological impact of all of the decomposing flatworms in the water triggering a chain reaction.'
    --AJ
    I've been considering a scenario similar to this as a possible cause for my algae blooms.
    As you know, we both have the dark green resiliant turf type algae from our LR purchase in February - and as I was getting rid of it earlier in the summer I was kalking quite heavily.  Aside from the possible imbalances caused by the kalk, my theory is that I also killed life on the rocks causing excess nutrients for the algae.  My bristleworm population seems to have been drastically reduced and my assumption is from a combination of the kalking and the lack of food in the tank the rocks came from.
    -Eric
    Could be.  That turf algae sucks.  I've gotten it on a few other frags that I have.  That's nasty stuff.
    --AJ

11. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Ultimately though, the only true way to control aiptasia is with a good predator. Peppermint shrimp (of the proper variety) are probably the best all around solution.
    -JB
    So last Tuesday I was @ Pet's Playhouse and picked up 3 peppermints - 2 for my 72g and 1 for the 12g.
    I haven't seen them since and I still have aptasia...
    From what I saw @ the Playhouse, they do like to hide in the rocks and aren't very obvious in the tank.  The tank they were in was free of aptasia, and they tossed a rock in the tank that had aptasia on it so that I could verify their appetite (which they had).  As they're scavengers, I would assume they're interested in aptasia as a supplement to other goodies they find in the tank.
    -Eric

12. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Eric on 11/08/2009 02:56 PM

Ultimately though, the only true way to control aiptasia is with a good predator. Peppermint shrimp (of the proper variety) are probably the best all around solution.
    -JB
    So last Tuesday I was @ Pet's Playhouse and picked up 3 peppermints - 2 for my 72g and 1 for the 12g.
    I haven't seen them since and I still have aptasia...
    From what I saw @ the Playhouse, they do like to hide in the rocks and aren't very obvious in the tank.  The tank they were in was free of aptasia, and they tossed a rock in the tank that had aptasia on it so that I could verify their appetite (which they had).  As they're scavengers, I would assume they're interested in aptasia as a supplement to other goodies they find in the tank.
    -Eric
    They will start with the smallest aptasia and may never tackle the large aptasia. I put 14 in a 125 with no fish so no other food and it still took about three weeks before I noticed a difference and even then I still have quite a few.
    If you have them in a tank thats being fed it might take longer before you notice a difference.
    They do hide pretty well but will come out more as they adjust to your system.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one peppermint shrimp in my nano and it keeps it aiptasia free.  I just noticed one the other day after adding a new zoa frag.  The next day, it was gone.  I feed my tank and my shrimp eats lots of mysis and other food that it can get its claws on.  I would recommend killing off the really big ones.  One other thing, I've mentioned before that I think using peppermint shrimp in addition to Aiptasia-X is a nice way to go.  I think the Aiptasia-X kills/badly injures the aiptasia, and the peppermint shrimp eats what's left.
    --AJ

14. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I've been thinking about the aptasia-x...prolly gonna order some.

Although I bet there'll be deals next Saturday...
    -Eric

15. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want to try some before you buy it, let me know...I have a bottle you can borrow for a few days.

--AJ

16. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 11/09/2009 02:58 PM
    If you want to try some before you buy it, let me know...I have a bottle you can borrow for a few days.
    --AJ
    I certainly appreciate that but it sounds as though both you & JB have had success with it which gives me confidence in a purchase.
    -Eric