1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

my 1000 gal upgrade build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ninjazx777, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

now for some full tank shots (sorry about the crappy cell phone pictures)

340 gal needs a few more weeks to cycle then ill tie it in with the rest of the system

[​IMG]

250 gal agressive reef tank

[​IMG]

110 gal softie/nem tank

[​IMG]

75gal sps tank

[​IMG]

next step is to finish the wall and trim around the 340gal and install lights over it. but as usuall it will be a little while yet

2. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    looking good Matt

3. MXC207 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Holy schnikes...wow. I have to see this in person sometime.

4. malibu74

malibu74 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Really impressive , think you inspire us all.

5. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

well I have a little progress to report. i finally finished the wall and trim around the 340 gal. its all primered and ready to be air brushed when i reach that stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next step will be lights over the 340 gal. then intstall the drop ceiling and the floor. and final step will be to have all the walls, doors, and cabinets air brushed. I'm hoping to have all that done before the first of the year

6. Bigkel

Bigkel Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks great Matt! Thanks for hosting the frag demo so I could witness this awesome creation of yours! Like someone said early on the thread "you inspire us". My next house will have a section totally dedicated for a fish room such as yours ( probably not that many gallons tho! LOL)

7. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any updates on this amazing build?

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Not really. I've been short on time and money. I did modify my skimmer to a dual becket feed. ill post pics of it in the near future. also just need to do a little plumbing work and ill have my ozone generator and reactor up and running.

9. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

i wasn't happy with the performace of my volcano skimmer. i had to run the water level way up in the neck to get any good foam due to having not enough micro bubbles.. after doing some research on RC i found out this was a common problem with these skimmers and one cure was to turn it into a beckett feed skimmer.

here is the skimmer before mod with the recirculating pump on you can see that there is not enough bubbles

[​IMG]

if you look close you can see through the cup how high i had to run the water level in order to get good foam. excuse the dirty collection cup

[​IMG]

so i decided to run a dual becket feed.

after taking the skimmer apart i marked where i was going to drill the holes for the 1" uniseals.

[​IMG]

after lots of double checking measurements. i finialy built up the nerve to drill the holes. believe me i was very nervous because if i screwed up i just ruined a very expensive skimmer.

[​IMG]

10. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

i installed the uniseals but i still had to drill the holes on the inside to the lower bubble chamber so i used a 3/4" pvc pipe and a level to mark exactly where the holes needed to be drilled

[​IMG]

here is what it looked like after the inner holes were drilled

[​IMG]

here it is with the inner pipe with 45 deg fittings facing oppisite directions to create counter current

[​IMG]

11. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

ouside 90's installed

[​IMG]

valves and becketts installed. i had the beckett housing custom built by geo. excuse my messy work shop

[​IMG]

connecting t installed along with the 1" hose barb for the feed

[​IMG]

i knew the stock bubble plate was not going to allow enough bubbles so i redrilled it

before

[​IMG]

after

[​IMG]

12. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0

the beckets were not supported very well on there own so i had to build two custom brackets out of acrylic. here is what one looks like after it was installed the other side is exactly the same

[​IMG]

here is what the skimmer now looks like after it was hooked up and running

[​IMG]

it is working better then before but i'm still not happy. i am using a reeflo hammer head as a feed pump but its also running several other peices of equipment, my two frag tanks, and my tank upstairs. so i think the beckkets are not getting enough pressure to perform properly. so i plan on using a pan world 250ps high pressure pump to feed the skimmer. i will post pictures of it as soon as i buy it and get it installed

i will also have my upgraded ozone reactor installed in the near future

13. Shayna

Shayna Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is incredible.

14. Travis G

Travis G Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I should show my wife this thread and tell her not to be upset that i wanna knock down a false wall and add a utility sink in my basement. Lol

15. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Woohoo!! over 10,000 views