1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mud Vs. Sand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CyberJester, Feb 27, 2008.

1. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Planning to build a new sump w/ a fuge either this coming weekend or the next.
    Was wondering what everyone preferred for substrate in a fuge.
    Sand or Mud?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I prefer nothing. Little waterflow makes things settle out to the bottom, no sand or mud allows it to be suctioned out easily. If you're hoping for nitrate removal with a deep bed, that's what the macroalgae is for. I'm not sure what kind of refugium you're looking to set up, though, so it completely depends on what you're going for. Just thought I'd mention the option.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I like rubble in mine. Give the pods a good place to breed. I have macro in 1 side & the other side will have mangroves when the weather is warm enough to ship them.

4. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 02/27/2008 1:06 PM
    I like rubble in mine. Give the pods a good place to breed. I have macro in 1 side & the other side will have mangroves when the weather is warm enough to ship them.
    I was thinking about some mangroves and some cheato with rock rubble in the baffles, Does the mangroves not need some sort of substrate to grow in?  Thats why I was thinking about using Mud.

5. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mangroves do not need substrate, but they will do better with it.  Mud is fine, as is any fine sand.  Once established, mangroves and a DSB can do wonders.  Mine has been running for several years, zero nitrates, zero phosphates. 

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    A good method on mangroves is to float them with styrofoam. The mangroves will throw down a bunch of roots, raise the mangroves up a little at a time & it will promote alot of root growth.

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like dsb's in refugiums. I would expect that most of the settling would occur in the first chamber of the sump pre-entry into the DSB area. Once established they seem to stabilize a tank very well.