1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Moving tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jstngates, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    I am in the process of moving my tank to a different wall as we've redone the flooring in the basement and one spot left under the tank. It's a 180 so a little over 200 gallons total. If I buy 3 or 4 rubbermade trash cans will they leach out into the water? Is this safe?

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Brute trash cans have a good reputation of not leaching. Lots of people in the hobby use them. Might even be able to find some people that would loan them to you for your tank move.
    I don't know how much of an issue leaching would be with the short time you are looking at if you are just moving the tank in an afternoon anyway. I've used cheap trash cans and other storage containers for short term water holding (couple hours) and it never seemed to cause any issues at all with my tank.

3. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Ah just not looking forward to it. Box of salt ordered and new ro filters too. Time to do a good water change as I haven't kept up on them like I should.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    i have 3x 44g Brutes, those are a standby for emergency storage, good for a while