1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Movie Reviews: Tropic Thunder vs Pineapple Express

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Travis, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I checked out both of these movies in the last couple weeks.  I have to say they are both worth watching, but they aim for two fairly different audiences.  Pineapple Express is a HUGE pot/drug joke movie.   The characters are well played and the story is entertaining.  The relationship between the two main characters is hillarious though.  Tropic Thunder on the other hand targets the action audience with gun fire, blood, and guts.  This movie is packed full of top shelf actors 2 of which you will have trouble recognizing due to the great makeup work.  The story is about actors trying to make a war movie and everything gets a little more real than expected.  If you like quotable movies this is it.  Line after line in this movie is hillarious. 
    Either way, both movies are worth seeing.  If I had to choose one to see on the big screen though it would be Tropic Thunder.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    What is the big protests over tropic thunder then?

3. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Probably the language. DO NOT take children to this movie!!!

If it wasn't for Ledger as the Joker I would say Robert Downey Jr. would actually be up for some awards in this movie. Which would be very rare for a satire comedy, but he is amazing.

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm really glad to see Seth Rogan making it big.  He's funny and always played great roles.  Pineapple Express is no exception
    Tropic Thunder I haven't seen yet, but the word "Retard" is used 17 or so times and the special olympic people are really upset about it.  That's the whole story behind that.
    Also, check out Felon, top 5 movie of the year for sure.  I was really impressed by Stephen Dorff and Val Kilmer.
    If anyone sees Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot with Sean William Scott, tell me what you think.   That is one of my favorite movies.  Great flick.

5. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes the infamous "retard" debate... People are just too sensitive some times. If you look at what he was trying to explain it makes sense to use the word retard. IMO retard was used as a word to describe a social label for a disability. The character in the movie points out that as an actor to truely capture an audience you have to play the person affected by the disability, not just the disability. He points out that there is still a human being behind the diagnosis and that you should focus on that.

In reality you have to dig pretty deep to get that from his speech and honestly I thought it was a little offensive, but my shock factor was already turned off after the very first commercial for Booty Sweat... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

6. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seth Rogan is funny don't get me wrong, but you have to admit that Franco made the movie... He was hillarious. You would never guess he was the straight laced rich kid in Spiderman.

7. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Travis you have time to watch all these movies yet you can't make the mile trip to pick up these god forsaken xenia......your fired. Pineapple express wasn't bad, but I would have felt better not spending almost 20 dollars to see it.

8. Travis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL,

I should have stated that I see most movies at the local $5.00 theater, that alone makes them better as I know I didn't pay much more than a rental to see them on a brand new big screen... The theater is also right out my back door. Jason, I finally have a little more time in my day so I will have to swing over some time soon. Right now I am just trying to get my lighting and hair algae situations under control. It is kind of nice since the lack of light cuts back on the algae growth...

9. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    nope...fired means fired.....

10. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]