1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

morel mushrooms

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wolfman1973, Apr 13, 2009.

1. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Starting to find them in our area (DES MOINES) so you might try this weekend. Only finding the little grays at this time. We need the rain in our area!! The ground is really dry, but the undregrowth has really taken off, so we have to get out before it gets too tall to find the gray mushrooms. Will hunt yellows later.
    I have hunted mushrooms for years, and I really feel that the outside temperature is over-rated when it comes to finding mushrooms. We have picked mushrooms with light snowfall on the ground. You need a few days of higher temps to get things started by warming the ground, but then if it cools off, like today, don't stop looking, remember the ground temp is still warm. Mushrooms pop up based on the ground temperature. So when you see blue bells and may apples in the forest, the ground temperature is warm enough for mushrooms. Yes, the higher temps help because humidity usually comes along with it=moisture.

Good luck hunting
    jolene

2. acrouse

acrouse

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just a safety tip-never wear the colors RED, WHITE,BLUE, Or BLACK while hunting mushrooms during Turkey Season. These are the colors that are mistaken most by turkey hunters and people get shot accidently this way. Even if you think you are the only one with permission to be on the land, people trespass and you don't want to take that chance.

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I never have been able to understand how someone shoots someone by accident.If they had any brains they would postivly id there target before they pull the trigger.But like you said it happens every year.

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree,well said bill

5. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I absolutley hate morel mushrooms or any mushroom for that matter it is a fungus! LOL either way I am a chef and do go hunt for them just so I can cook them up for friends and family cause everyone seems to love them, you guys are all crazy LOL.

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I know with the warm weather yesterday & todays heavy rain I am going to hit my woods hard tomorrow.

It is actually supposed to be warm so hopefully I will be first to post a pic

7. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    people are finding them near waterloo,i saw a guy at the gas station yesterday with maybe 1 to two pounds.i am heading out tomorrow up north to one of my spots to see if any are there and then come back and look in my neck of the woods. HAPPY SHROOMING TO ALL!!!!!

8. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WENT TO HICKERY HILLS TODAY FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS AND FOUND NOTHING.THE FRISBE GOLF CONVENTION MUST HAVE SCARED THEM AWAY!!! GOING OUT TOMORROW AND EVERYDAY UNTIL I FIND THEM

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Went to indian lake down by Farmington which is almost to Missouri and found nothing.

10. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i went around cedar rapids and found a few

11. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i found about 30 greys,2 yellows,and about 50 half free morels in the northeast part of the state today whoo hooo. i have never found half free morels before today,they were everywhere(long stem with a small cap). going out again tomorrow. for all morel hunters out there remember,if it ain't hollow,don't swallow!!! all true morels are hollow when you cut them down the middle.

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    We went out to Hickory Hills yesterday & found 3. There were hunters everywhere.

I have checked my place a couple time & havent found any.

13. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    found about 5 pounds up by fayette today,a good mix of yellows ans greys. going in the morning again. i think we have another week or two up north

14. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Want to sell a couple pounds to a down & out mushroom strike out guy?

15. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah no doubt, wolfman you up for frag-mushroom trading?

16. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol,sorry man,i am hoping to find a few more pounds tomorrow and then it is cookout time at my sisters and there is alot of mouths to feed!!!!!!!! but on a side note,my mom is garage saleing at the washburn neighborhood sale and she just called and said a guy had a cooler full and he wanted 16 bucks a pound

17. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So is the season over by now?

18. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lee i am going out this weekend up by postville,my friends parents own some land up there and some of there land is rented out,the guy who rents from them found about 25 lbs on wensday,so the answer to your ? is no, but i think you have to go north. are morel season was late again this year so i think we have a little more time to find them.