1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

morel mushrooms

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wolfman1973, Apr 13, 2009.

1. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just thought it would be cool to start a thread on morels as i am sure several of us hunt them. it,s almost hunting time and it would be cool for us to post on this thread when you start finding them and in what part of the state you are finding them. thanks  dan

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You bet, but I wouldnt hold your breath for a couple more weeks around here.

3. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    but i am holding my breath and i can't wait,i always start on the weekend of the nfl draft and go for a few weeks after that. some of my favorite places are up north.p.s. i can't wait for the nfl draft either!!!!!!

4. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Same here I can't wait eather! But it needs to get up in the seventies for a week or two first probaly a month away still. But shroom season is probaly my favorite time of year.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am going to go out & hit my woods hard this year. Last year I found only 2 so that gives me hope.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering how the season will be. Some of my hot spots got flooded last year and i am wondering if the spores got washed away. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

7. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Last year was totaly bunk there was way to much water. I'm thinking this year is going to be beter.

8. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was not happy with last year. i worked out of state most of mushroom season and the hotel i stayed in didn't have very good area around it for hunting /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif i'm hoping this season is better. I dont eat them i just like to go lookin for them haha, me or the fiance eat them, usually just give them away to the people whos land we find them on

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    Don't eat them? What they are the best food in the world! Just dip them in egg and coat them in cracker crumbs fry them up in butter and there you go. Yum yum yum it dosen't get any better than that!

10. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i just never been a fan :) haha of any mushroom for that matter..

11. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well, if anyone is going to hunt in the Cedar Rapids area and wants a side kick let me know. My girlfriend Tammy would love to go with ya. I might tag along too. If not and anyone has some to spare, let us know.

12. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    LOL What's wrong with your girlfriend? In otherwords why are you trying to send her off into the woods with some strainge guy she dose not know? I have seen movies the start like that and they don't end well.

13. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Mushroom goes into a bar.

The bar tender yells, " get he hell outa here, we don't serve your kind"

Mushroom says " come on, I'm a Fun guy"

14. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i did alright last year.the place i go to is pretty hilly and i just follow the deer trails.one of the times i went last year i kind of got lost and i ran into a red truck way up in the woods were i was hunting,well i thought it might be a turkey hunter so i turned around and back tracked back to the car.the next day my brother in-law called me and said that a turkey hunter with a red truck got arrested for going after some mushroom hunters with an ax in the same area that we were at,i guess it was a good thing i turned around when i saw that red truck!!!!!!!!!

15. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By taavis on 04/13/2009 05:54 PM
    well, if anyone is going to hunt in the Cedar Rapids area and wants a side kick let me know. My girlfriend Tammy would love to go with ya. I might tag along too. If not and anyone has some to spare, let us know.
    Hey, damn it, you ruined my plans for my new movie, "blood thursty mushroom man"!

16. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ruggerkc on 04/13/2009 07:31 PM
    Mushroom goes into a bar.
    The bar tender yells, " get he hell outa here, we don't serve your kind"
    Mushroom says " come on, I'm a Fun guy" ha!
    I love mushrooms! I don't know any good spots though, the most I've ever found was 4-5, not really worth the 2 or 3 hours of searching for them either.  Someday I'll find a spot.

17. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2 ta 3 hours is just getting started my friend,sometimes i am out there all day for just a few,its kind of funny because if i go awaile without finding any i will pull one out of the bag and take a good look at it(this gives me morel vison lol)and sometimes i think it helps

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I have huted them sence i was a kid it was the best father son activity me and my dad had. Here is a list of what i consider to be the best places to look.Eather side of a small creeck or river, along fence rows in the timber, around wooded lakes, around fallen elm trees, around the bases of large oak trees, and under briars. But i find the most up and down the creeks and around fallen elm trees. Hope this helps those that want to find them but don't know were to look.

19. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    No shrooms yet at least not in my spots[​IMG]

20. wolfman1973

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i haven't found any either and i am thinking it might be another two weeks before i start finding them in my spots up in northeast part of the state. next week looks like lower 60s and 40s at night.they say to wait until your lilacs are in bloom and last year i started finding keepers about a few days after they were in bloom!