1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

More help in getting my tank in check--

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jan 10, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, after all the reading now I understand...  that said as of right now I do not have a sump.  Is there a way (for now) that I can add my needed calcium/alkalinity, I have changed over to Reef Crystals and that has helped but still not there. 
    Correct me if I am wrong....  Say I was to dose with Kalkwasser this needs to be a constant drip say every night and/or 24/7!?!?  Can I dose with something like B-Ionic instead, is there something else out there?  
    The problem is my tank just is not set up to drip anything without looking goofy in the living room, I have seen all the DIY drip methods and none will look good sitting on the top of my tank.  If it was something that could be set up say once a week that would be fine with me but a continuous setup isn't practical right now.
    As of right now I am not to concerned about the cost of B-Ionic, shouldn't have to use it all that long since I am working towards a RR tank.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Have you read these two articles by RHF?
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

IMHO - Drip sucks unless you have dosing pumps. I really like Kalk as I still don't need a Ca reactor (have one though) because I can still maintain good levels of Ca and Alk with Kalk and it keeps my pH up. But yes it is far best to drip or topoff 24-7 with kalk. Its ph is 12 so it has to go in slowly. I use 100% kalk as topoff with my homeade kalk stirer run with maxi jets and my Aquacontroller 3. Works VERY well if maintained correctly. To dose anything you really need a sump.
    You are welcome to come up to my place sometime and I will explain everything. But it is an hour drive for you.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to get up that way - the problem is I head up that way I will end up spending money on corals! :)