1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Monthly Meetings?

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by JB, Nov 18, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What does everyone think of the idea of having regular but informal monthly meetings?
    Here's what I'm thinking:
    [list type=decimal][*]Pick a standard day (for example: the second thursday of the month).[*]Pick a standard location.   Something simple and easy like a quiet "sit down" restaurant where we can grab a drink or something to eat if we want.[*]Alternate between Iowa City/Cedar Rapids on a monthly basis (if the interest warrants it).[*]Just get together and shoot the bull for an hour or two.[/list type=decimal]
    I think having a regularly scheduled meeting would go a long way towards building our region's involvement with the club.
    What do you all think?
    -JB

2. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think that would be a great idea JB. 
    We need more functions that bring our community together.
    I think with a little planning we could have something like this once a month and a demonstration type meeting (topics of instruction or discussion) every other month, or even both once a month.  That way if you can't make one event you could make the other.
    Our reefing group are a great bunch of people, I luv you guys, had a great time with all of you at the Frag fest, so its always a pleasure to hang out with you all.

3. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea, I'm in :)

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be in.  More likely the I.C. locations than the C.R. ones though.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have any ideas where we could use as a standard meeting place in Cedar Rapids and/or Iowa City?

-JB

6. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 11/18/2008 05:16 PM
    Anyone have any ideas where we could use as a standard meeting place in Cedar Rapids and/or Iowa City?
    -JB
    I don't know, actually I would kind of like to see it move around.
    We haven't been in town all that long (1 1/2 years), so it would be nice to get exposure to some different places.
    Being a big beer fan, I usually go to Third Base on Blairs Ferry.
    They have BIG CHEAP BEERS!
    But I am really open to anything, as I said I would like to get some exposure to other places.

7. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CyberJester on 11/19/2008 08:40 AM

Posted By jbrunken on 11/18/2008 05:16 PM
    -JB
    I don't know, actually I would kind of like to see it move around.
    We haven't been in town all that long (1 1/2 years), so it would be nice to get exposure to some different places.
    Being a big beer fan, I usually go to Third Base on Blairs Ferry.
    They have BIG CHEAP BEERS!
    But I am really open to anything, as I said I would like to get some exposure to other places.
    Do they brew their own there?  I think that place used to be called cedar valley brewery and they had really good beer and food for reasonable prices.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Cedar Brewery (or whatever it's called now) would be a good place to meet in Cedar Rapids. In the short term, I think we should shoot for consistency and keep it in the same location at the same time.

I do think that it would be ok to do CR in odd months and IC in even months, but more Iowa City people need to speak up if they are out there (what is a good place we could meet in the Iowa City area?) Is Old Chicago still around or did they get flooded? We could do Boston's Pizza behind the mall...

-JB

9. CyberJester

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Third base is the old Cedar Brewing.

They do still brew their own beer

The Brew Master there is a good friend and a member of my brew club.
    They have a mug club type membership for $25 and with that you can get a 33oz beer for $3.50.
    without the membership you get a 24oz for the same price with is still a great deal considering most places give you a 12oz bottle for around $3.

We could always schedule it there and do it once or twice, get everyone into the groove of doing this.
    Then if everyone feels that a change is in order we could start moving it around to a couple of different places.

10. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Old Chicago reopened a few months ago, but the Vine just down the street might be better. Wig and Pen should be opening in a few months too. I'd be all for meeting up once in a while. How many Iowa City area people are interested?

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm not very familiar with either of those places. Would they be able to accommodate a small group on a week night with no wait?

I certainly don't mind driving to Iowa City every other month as long as a few of the Iowa City people show up (which has been a problem in the past).

-JB

12. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Vine is 2 blocks down from Old Chicago (east), and Wig and Pen is a block further. It should be pretty easy to get a free seat on a week night.

13. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would go to a monthly meeting. If it's in IC every other month, I would be willing to participate in a car-pool for those months. Save the planet and some $$ :)

--AJ