1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

modded my octo nw 200

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seanndenise1, Nov 24, 2007.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i modded my new octo nw 200
    i had a pretty decent diatom/hair algae bloom goin on and have been skimming some rank stuff the past couple weeks and decided i need more skimmerLOL.
    i dont know if ill leave it like this, i kinda like things to look new and and not all worked on looking.
    i did it in  a way that it didnt alter the skimmer at all, no glue , didnt cut anything on the skimmer, just removed the telescoping tube and stock venturi.
    it cost me about 24 dollars and it seems to have worked pretty good, i can adjust the bubbles in the collection cup anywhere in there pretty easy now.
    the homemade venturi has a 3/8 hose on it now so you can imagine the air intake.
    if anyones interested ill post pics of the parts i used later, i just copied what others have done.
    ill let you know if its any different in a few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's looks pretty sweet. How many gallons is this thing skimming?

3. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 11/24/2007 6:15 PM
    It's looks pretty sweet. How many gallons is this thing skimming?
    well just guessing with the sump and tank, take away for live rock probably 110 gallons.
    125 gal tank and a 29 gal sump.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shawnthis mh i got on my tank with the new hqi 175 bulb is bad i love the shimmer let go to som illl drive and pay for gas let me know when

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shaen see if u can find that tube for skimmer or help me get a new one please

6. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By keith on 11/24/2007 9:03 PM
    shaen see if u can find that tube for skimmer or help me get a new one please
    this skimmer is different than yours, you cant do this to it.
    all the mods that can be done to your have been done already.

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So the only noticable difference is you can adjust the bubbles going to the cup easier?

I've only had to adjust my riser tube once, if there is a lack of bubbles i know its time to clean the venturi, or the pump intake.

Let us know if you think it produces more skimate........

8. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Waverz on 11/24/2007 10:07 PM
    So the only noticable difference is you can adjust the bubbles going to the cup easier?
    I've only had to adjust my riser tube once, if there is a lack of bubbles i know its time to clean the venturi, or the pump intake.
    Let us know if you think it produces more skimate........
    well the venturi has definatly made alot more bubbles in the chamber. just jacking around, i put the stock venturi back on it earlier to see if i could see a difference.
     the bubbles didnt even make it up to the riser tube, and when i used the homemeade venturi with the stock telescoping waterflow pipe it ran the cup over with bubbly water.
    so that tells me that theres more bubbles and with the homemade outlet valve on it at a lower position i can make up for the difference in waterflow with the gate valve.
    im really not in a position to tell whether it skims any better on account that i dont think theres anything left in my tank to skim out.
    i have very little bio load, i must say that stock out of the box it wooped the crap out of the organics that were built up in the tank, mostly algae blooms and what dyeoff from rock that there was.
    with that said im wondering why i would try and improve something thats works good, well i dunno, but i did make sure that my skimmer can be put back to original without any permenant changes made to it. i had 4 days off with nothing to do.
    i guess i wont know untill i get some livestock in there to get some waste built up.
    something that i did notice while looking at the stock venturi was that the hard clear tubing that the rubber tube goes onto was not drilled out very well in the small hole in the venturi, it looked as if the drill bit was too short to make it completely thru it, it had burrs and was partially blocked.
    if i decide to put the stock venturi back on ill make sure that hole is open better.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shawn i want to put this skimmer i got off u back to the way it came i dont want ti in my sump no more take up to much room i need to hang it off back of tank whats parts i need i know u said u mod this skimmer thanks

10. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

kieth
    the skimmer has been modded it will never go back to original.
    how big is the sump you are using? whats the dimensions, and whats in your sump right now.
    from all your posts about drilling tanks and tanks needed for a sump, it kind of sounds like you are in a never ending upgrade to your system.
    post some pics so we can find a solution to all these problems at once.
    it kinda sounds like you have nowhere to put your equipment, on account you dont have a sump thats big enough to hold anything.
    i need some pictures to see whats up, if you dont have a camera just list your tank size, stand size, sump size, and whats in your sump at the moment.

11. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Keith,

Remember if you go HOB and the skimmer overflows you have a mess. Not to montion a potential pump sucking air in the return. In Sump is always better in my opinion if just for this reason.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    mabey its just best i wait for a month or to till i have surgury to mees with this i cant get down on my knee shawn i do have a mess im not happy with the whole set up let me give u mesherments 15 x10 x 12 is the sump its a nano tank i bought and turned in to a refunguim now space i have to work with is 48 long buy 11 wide so the 11 wide is what is what killen me i can ask my dad to build me a sump out of glass he use to build fish tank

13. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so its a nano tank thats your sump.
    yeah keith, if i were you i would get your surgery, heal up that seems like the most important thing.
    when you get better, you are going to have to get yourself or build yourself a new stand that will allow you to have a required size sump.
    you have to have somewhere to put the equipment.
    take a break and just try and keep your water in decent shape till you get your surgery, then we can try and get a fresh start.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    now my 72 bow front is full of ick man im goig to lost my big big lion fish my yellow tang my clown i think the whole tank this is a reff only tank shawn

15. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sean....remember that the size of the bubbles are very important also...make sure as you increase the airflow you keep the bubble size as small as possible.

eins