1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

MJ 1200 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, May 4, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a MJ 1200 modded for one of my powerheads.   I have having a problem with it starting to spin in reverse.   It has been running for a few weeks now, and just started doing this today that I know of.   Is there anyway to prevent this, or is the pump bad.    [​IMG]

2. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are bi-directional pumps so the impeller can start up either way, usually on those mods there is a stopper of some type to force the prop to spin the right direction.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it a DIY mod or one of the ones you buy already modded?

If it's DIY look to see if the stopper is still their, you may need to replace it

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i've heard of people using modded MJ's on wavemakers and breaking the anti-reverse thingy. yes "thingy" is a technical term :)

5. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This might be a stupid question, but what is the "stopper thingy" look like. I don't know what that is. Mine is just a MJ with high flow mod. I don't know if it has the stopper.

6. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It should just be a small piece of plastic above the prop, I'm not sure how the newer mods have theirs setup but they should all be similar. I'm asuming it happened after you shut off the power correct?

7. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    it will happen after I turn on the pump, it will run okay for a few minutes then make a clicking sound, and then go to reverse. I do have a piece of air line tubing in front of the prop to hold the prop back. Maybe I need to make that piece a little longer.