1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mixing Wrasses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobsfish, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I currently have a six-line wrasse and would like to add one of the flasher wrasses to the tank. I checked the compatibility chart on liveaquaria.com and it says "with caution". There's a lot of rock and hiding places in the tank, so I'm thinking they'd have room to stay separate. Has anyone mixed reef-friendly wrasses before? Any warnings / advice?

2. gravattj

gravattj Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a banana wrasse and a cleaner wrasse in the same tank. No problems thus far.

3. brtfreud

brtfreud Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bad idea...one will eventually force the other to jump out of the tank.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    With a good blender you can mix just about any two wrasses together... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif :) /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 06/23/2009 06:49 PM
    With a good blender you can mix just about any two wrasses together... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif :) /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    I was gonna post something like that shucks! 
    But seriously they will each need plenty of room to avoid eachother.

6. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not that it helps but I have a green birds wrasse, a flasher wrasse, and a six line wrasse, all in the same tank. The only time they get grumpy is at feeding time.

7. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JB on 06/23/2009 06:49 PM
    With a good blender you can mix just about any two wrasses together... /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif :) /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif yeah...I suppose that'd be the start of a wrasse cocktail[​IMG]

8. bobsfish

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By brtfreud on 06/23/2009 06:04 PM
    Bad idea...one will eventually force the other to jump out of the tank. I think I agree. I've got a 60g tank...I think it'd be trouble in a 4ft tank. I'm thinking if I had something 125+ they'd have enough room to spread out. I've noticed in LFS they always separate the wrasses into their own tank.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I saw a tank in Omaha tha had 25 in 1 tank.

Keeping them fed correctly is the key

& yes they will jump with or without other wrasses so lids are a must