1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mixing Saltwater Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PotRoast, Jul 30, 2008.

1. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hey there. Please stick with me through my growing pains. This board and the GIRS board has been money as far as advice.

So here it goes.....

I had a 240 gallon empty tank. I thought it might be a good idea to just dump my reef crystals in there and fire up the pump and start circulating.

As it turns out that was a dumb idea as the salt didn't really fully mix for a couple weeks. Even now there is thin film of salt on everything.

The water is at room temperature (75). I have not turned on the heaters yet.

So, fire away, tell me what I did wrong, what I need to do in the future, and maybe how to get rid of this salt in my tank that won't seem to fully disolve.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm don't know nearly as much as most people on this site, but I mixed 72 gallons fine like that.  It took about a half hour to clear up and look fine.
    I also had 2 big power heads and two canister filters for mixing up the salt also.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see the line where one of the power heads was blowing the salt around.
    Just keep mixing it up with what you have and also take an algae brush or something and mix it up by hand every now and then and it should clear up.
    Also.....how much salt did you put in?  What's your salinity right now?  You might have put too much salt in.

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whats your salinity?